Anti Vibration mirrors?
Moderator: Moderators
- John I. Stephen
- Basic User
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
- Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK
Anti Vibration mirrors?
Any ideas; I would really like to see behind me clearly rather than a blurred image? Suggestions ?
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
Tighten 'em?
Funny - of all the bikes I have ridden over the last few years, my R1150R has got the least vibey mirrors. I'm thinkin they might improve if you check the torsion of the nut that fixes the mirrors to the bars and maybe try adjusting the angle at which the mirror arms point. I've got mine set pointing at right angles to the centre line of the bike.
Tom
Tom
-
Spookymonster
- Basic User
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm
- Location: Northern New Jersey, USA
-
DJ Downunder
- Honorary Lifer
- Posts: 4776
- Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:26 pm
- Location: Melbourne
I got my R1150R in 01 and have never had a problem with vibration in my mirors...your problem might be a tune-up thing.
I think it was CycleRob that once said the heavy mirrors vibrate less..and if you have a problem with them vibrating too much you could drill a small hole in the plastic on the back of the mirror and fill the space with sand or something heavy and then seal up the hole.
I don't know anyone who has ever done this...you could be the guinea-pig if you like..
..and let us know if it works.
DJ
I think it was CycleRob that once said the heavy mirrors vibrate less..and if you have a problem with them vibrating too much you could drill a small hole in the plastic on the back of the mirror and fill the space with sand or something heavy and then seal up the hole.
I don't know anyone who has ever done this...you could be the guinea-pig if you like..
DJ
-
REDSTAN
- Basic User
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am
- Location: GARFORTH WEST,YORKSHIRE *ISLE OF ENGLAND*
Re: Anti Vibration mirrors?
John I. Stephen"]Any ideas; I would really like to see behind me clearly rather than a blurred image? Suggestions ?[/quote]
john try to find some smoother roads
but thats not to eazy in the uk
the r i have on a 03 plate vibes at about 3.5thow to 3.8 then pin sharpe

"DO the miles get the smiles" ? so many roads so little time. (silver is the fastest ok)
- John I. Stephen
- Basic User
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
- Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK
- John I. Stephen
- Basic User
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
- Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK
OK; I don't wish to exaggerate this; the bike is not "vibrating" as in "juddering". There is always a constant tingle in the toes
and the mirrors will always identify vehicles. However, the image is always blurred.
I would say that anything from 70mph and the image is only good for identifying the size of vehicle; no chance of anything more.
If it were a 'mechanical' problem what should I ask the dealer to check; as I need to be specific if I booking her in?
Thanks
I would say that anything from 70mph and the image is only good for identifying the size of vehicle; no chance of anything more.
If it were a 'mechanical' problem what should I ask the dealer to check; as I need to be specific if I booking her in?
Thanks
Last edited by John I. Stephen on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
- John I. Stephen
- Basic User
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
- Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK
Well I haven't a clue what that means but I shall happily suggest this to the dealer !gregor wrote:'synchronizing the throttle bodies'
I am very interested to read that, apart from just above tick-over your images are crystal clear. I had best double check the rigidity of the mirrors also, but I am certain they are secure; they don't move or change angle.
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
-
REDSTAN
- Basic User
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am
- Location: GARFORTH WEST,YORKSHIRE *ISLE OF ENGLAND*
VIBES SOD EN JUST RIDE THE BEAST
"DO the miles get the smiles" ? so many roads so little time. (silver is the fastest ok)
-
Spookymonster
- Basic User
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm
- Location: Northern New Jersey, USA
-
REDSTAN
- Basic User
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am
- Location: GARFORTH WEST,YORKSHIRE *ISLE OF ENGLAND*
Spookymonster wrote:How about bar ends? How effective do they tend to be at reducing vibration?
"DO the miles get the smiles" ? so many roads so little time. (silver is the fastest ok)
- CycleRob
- Honorary Lifer
- Posts: 2857
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
- Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
- Contact:
DJ Downunder, You are correct about my advocating adding weight to the hollow insides of the stock or the K1200 mirrors like I have on my `02 1150R. I'm going to do it real soon. I didn't think about sand as the medium to add and I wonder if it would get past the plastic/glass interface - - - there is no visible rubber gasket around the K1200 mirror glass.
I was thinking about 1/4" studs and ball bearings, fed into a drilled 1/4" hole, held in place with intermittent big squirts of hot glue, to form a large internal "assembly" bonded to the interior outboard portion of the mirror's bulging housing. The hot glue would form a very sticky, form fitting, internal weight that would dampen the oscillations just like a finger does when you want to see what kind of "car" is following you so fast.
Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
I was thinking about 1/4" studs and ball bearings, fed into a drilled 1/4" hole, held in place with intermittent big squirts of hot glue, to form a large internal "assembly" bonded to the interior outboard portion of the mirror's bulging housing. The hot glue would form a very sticky, form fitting, internal weight that would dampen the oscillations just like a finger does when you want to see what kind of "car" is following you so fast.
Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
`09 F800ST
Member since Sept 10, 2001
"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Member since Sept 10, 2001
"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
- yjleesvrr
- Member
- Posts: 1803
- Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:23 pm
- Location: Blacksburg and Haymarket, VA/Basking Ridge, NJ
Not to mention the natural dampening effect of sheer mass and changing the natural frequency of the mirror assembly.CycleRob wrote:Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
- iowabeakster
- Quadruple Lifer
- Posts: 1962
- Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:43 am
- Location: iowa city, ia
- elmandarino
- Basic User
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:08 pm
- Location: St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK
John. You need to limit yourself to half a bottle of wine before riding. The images are always clearer that way.OK; I don't wish to exaggerate this; the bike is not "vibrating" as in "juddering". There is always a constant tingle in the toes and the mirrors will always identify vehicles. However, the image is always blurred.
I'm afraid I don't have any blurring images in mirrors but then I have K series mirrors fitted for some reason. If you are getting a lot of vibration it is only fair as I had far more vibration on my GT500 than you. Still, I'm sure it can be fixed and as they say, Beemers do vibrate a bit - that is what they do.
el Mandarino
2001 Black BMW R1150R
- leoquattro
- Basic User
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:25 pm
- Location: Rome, Italy
John
I just changed my mirrors not because of vibrations but because I wanted to see something more than my own elbows. I installed two nice looking Rizoma mirrors (Wunderlich catalog) which allow me to see better but they vibrate more than the originals.
Cyclerob is right: they are lighter mirrors.
Ciao
Leoquattro
I just changed my mirrors not because of vibrations but because I wanted to see something more than my own elbows. I installed two nice looking Rizoma mirrors (Wunderlich catalog) which allow me to see better but they vibrate more than the originals.
Cyclerob is right: they are lighter mirrors.
Ciao
Leoquattro