Anti Vibration mirrors?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
John I. Stephen
Basic User
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK

Anti Vibration mirrors?

Post by John I. Stephen »

Any ideas; I would really like to see behind me clearly rather than a blurred image? Suggestions ?
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
User avatar
qfman
Lifer
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:50 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Sydney

Tighten 'em?

Post by qfman »

Funny - of all the bikes I have ridden over the last few years, my R1150R has got the least vibey mirrors. I'm thinkin they might improve if you check the torsion of the nut that fixes the mirrors to the bars and maybe try adjusting the angle at which the mirror arms point. I've got mine set pointing at right angles to the centre line of the bike.

Tom
Spookymonster
Basic User
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Northern New Jersey, USA

Post by Spookymonster »

When you say "check the torsion" do you mean make it tighter, looser, or right on spec?
2000 R1100 R with 3480 miles... 3481... 3482... 5003...
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:26 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Melbourne

Post by DJ Downunder »

I got my R1150R in 01 and have never had a problem with vibration in my mirors...your problem might be a tune-up thing.

I think it was CycleRob that once said the heavy mirrors vibrate less..and if you have a problem with them vibrating too much you could drill a small hole in the plastic on the back of the mirror and fill the space with sand or something heavy and then seal up the hole.

I don't know anyone who has ever done this...you could be the guinea-pig if you like.. :D..and let us know if it works.

DJ
REDSTAN
Basic User
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: GARFORTH WEST,YORKSHIRE *ISLE OF ENGLAND*

Re: Anti Vibration mirrors?

Post by REDSTAN »

John I. Stephen"]Any ideas; I would really like to see behind me clearly rather than a blurred image? Suggestions ?[/quote] :-k

:-k john try to find some smoother roads :?: but thats not to eazy in the uk :? the r i have on a 03 plate vibes at about 3.5thow to 3.8 then pin sharpe :smt023 :smt026
"DO the miles get the smiles" ? so many roads so little time. (silver is the fastest ok)
User avatar
John I. Stephen
Basic User
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK

Post by John I. Stephen »

Mmm; Pin Sharp is not something I have experienced in my first 3 months (1500 miles) of riding the R. I am having the bike 'checked over' by BMW so I'll maybe get their views (no pun intended !) also.

Thanks
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
User avatar
gregor
Lifer
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Derbyshire, England

Post by gregor »

I've a 2002 with ABS as well.
My mirrors are clear normally only vibrating a bit above tickover, as were those in my K75 and R80/7. And they reach past my shoulders.
A mechanical problem I fear.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
User avatar
John I. Stephen
Basic User
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK

Post by John I. Stephen »

OK; I don't wish to exaggerate this; the bike is not "vibrating" as in "juddering". There is always a constant tingle in the toes :) and the mirrors will always identify vehicles. However, the image is always blurred.

I would say that anything from 70mph and the image is only good for identifying the size of vehicle; no chance of anything more.

If it were a 'mechanical' problem what should I ask the dealer to check; as I need to be specific if I booking her in?

Thanks
Last edited by John I. Stephen on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
Brady
Basic User
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:27 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Rappahannock, VA

Post by Brady »

I have noticed that my mirrors vibrate considerably more now that I have removed the can. If you think about it, sound is vibration. More sound, more vibration. It's a trade off, and I wouldn't say I'm completly on one side of the fence. Yet.
User avatar
gregor
Lifer
Posts: 907
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:24 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Derbyshire, England

Post by gregor »

Not an expert - but 'synchronizing the throttle bodies' might be a requirement. My mirrors produce a clear image at most speeds.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
User avatar
John I. Stephen
Basic User
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:58 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Tunbridge Wells, UK

Post by John I. Stephen »

gregor wrote:'synchronizing the throttle bodies'
Well I haven't a clue what that means but I shall happily suggest this to the dealer !

I am very interested to read that, apart from just above tick-over your images are crystal clear. I had best double check the rigidity of the mirrors also, but I am certain they are secure; they don't move or change angle.
John
2002 R1150R Blue with ABS
REDSTAN
Basic User
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: GARFORTH WEST,YORKSHIRE *ISLE OF ENGLAND*

VIBES SOD EN JUST RIDE THE BEAST

Post by REDSTAN »

:smt006 JOHN all boxers vibe to some extent it's just part of owning a BMW :smt026 balancing the throttle bodies means both pot's get the same petrol/air mix to work together best done on a dyno by the dealer :smt038 . you may get some vibes through the bars and foot rest don't fuss enjoy the RIDE :smt026
"DO the miles get the smiles" ? so many roads so little time. (silver is the fastest ok)
Spookymonster
Basic User
Posts: 131
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Northern New Jersey, USA

Post by Spookymonster »

How about bar ends? How effective do they tend to be at reducing vibration?
2000 R1100 R with 3480 miles... 3481... 3482... 5003...
REDSTAN
Basic User
Posts: 144
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:56 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: GARFORTH WEST,YORKSHIRE *ISLE OF ENGLAND*

Post by REDSTAN »

Spookymonster wrote:How about bar ends? How effective do they tend to be at reducing vibration?
:smt021 bar end work OK as long as they are not to heavy that you carnt pick the bike up if you drop it :smt075 your bike should have come with bar ends :smt102 not a good idea to remove them :?:
"DO the miles get the smiles" ? so many roads so little time. (silver is the fastest ok)
User avatar
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
Contact:

Post by CycleRob »

DJ Downunder, You are correct about my advocating adding weight to the hollow insides of the stock or the K1200 mirrors like I have on my `02 1150R. I'm going to do it real soon. I didn't think about sand as the medium to add and I wonder if it would get past the plastic/glass interface - - - there is no visible rubber gasket around the K1200 mirror glass.

I was thinking about 1/4" studs and ball bearings, fed into a drilled 1/4" hole, held in place with intermittent big squirts of hot glue, to form a large internal "assembly" bonded to the interior outboard portion of the mirror's bulging housing. The hot glue would form a very sticky, form fitting, internal weight that would dampen the oscillations just like a finger does when you want to see what kind of "car" is following you so fast.

Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
User avatar
yjleesvrr
Member
Posts: 1803
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:23 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Blacksburg and Haymarket, VA/Basking Ridge, NJ

Post by yjleesvrr »

CycleRob wrote:Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
Not to mention the natural dampening effect of sheer mass and changing the natural frequency of the mirror assembly.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
User avatar
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:43 am
Location: iowa city, ia

Post by iowabeakster »

Another good filler material might be small lead shot (bird shot).
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
User avatar
elmandarino
Basic User
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:08 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: St Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by elmandarino »

OK; I don't wish to exaggerate this; the bike is not "vibrating" as in "juddering". There is always a constant tingle in the toes and the mirrors will always identify vehicles. However, the image is always blurred.
John. You need to limit yourself to half a bottle of wine before riding. The images are always clearer that way.

I'm afraid I don't have any blurring images in mirrors but then I have K series mirrors fitted for some reason. If you are getting a lot of vibration it is only fair as I had far more vibration on my GT500 than you. Still, I'm sure it can be fixed and as they say, Beemers do vibrate a bit - that is what they do.

el Mandarino
2001 Black BMW R1150R
User avatar
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Posts: 1491
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:48 pm
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

How about using lead shot for more weight? You could get some from a shotgun shell (rabbit-squirrel loads?) or empty out your machinist's hammer! :lol:
Rich
ADIOS!
User avatar
leoquattro
Basic User
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:25 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Rome, Italy

Post by leoquattro »

John
I just changed my mirrors not because of vibrations but because I wanted to see something more than my own elbows. I installed two nice looking Rizoma mirrors (Wunderlich catalog) which allow me to see better but they vibrate more than the originals.
Cyclerob is right: they are lighter mirrors.
Ciao
Leoquattro
Post Reply