GIVI Luggage

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
TonyT47
Basic User
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:40 pm

GIVI Luggage

Post by TonyT47 »

Well hello.
I'm new to this board as I'm considering swapping my 1K V-Strom for an R1200R. Not a straight swap, obviously. :(
Anyway, I'd like to use my Givi E36 side bags and E45 top case, if I do make a change and the bike doesn't come with bags.
Givi only lists the V35 bags for panniers. Is there a reason for this or can I use my existing bags on the 1200R side mounts?
Also, does the Givi tail rack impede the pillion position? We do ride two-up quite a bit.
Cheers,
Tony
User avatar
lewellen
Lifer
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:33 pm
Donating Member #: 635
Location: Monterey, CA

Re: GIVI Luggage

Post by lewellen »

TonyT47 wrote:Well hello.
I'm new to this board as I'm considering swapping my 1K V-Strom for an R1200R. Not a straight swap, obviously. :(
Anyway, I'd like to use my Givi E36 side bags and E45 top case, if I do make a change and the bike doesn't come with bags.
Givi only lists the V35 bags for panniers. Is there a reason for this or can I use my existing bags on the 1200R side mounts?
Also, does the Givi tail rack impede the pillion position? We do ride two-up quite a bit.
Cheers,
Tony
Hi, Tony,

Welcome!

The Givi bags will not work with BMW's OEM hardware. In fact, looking at the directions, you wind up using the R12R's mount points for the BMW luggage system as part of the rack installation.

I can't tell whether the E36 side cases would work with their racks for the R12R; from what I can see on the Givi website there are no cutouts for the exhaust pipe, which might be one concern. Best to contact them and ask.

As to passenger effects ... no data. I have the stock bag system with no top case, and I rarely carry passengers.

Good roads,

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.
Don C
Basic User
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:41 pm
Donating Member #: 0

Re: GIVI Luggage

Post by Don C »

Twisted Throttle has this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /3066/594/
But by the time you buy the side carriers, bag adapters and the top case carrier you are out 400 bucks or so, and you may be the first person to ever try that particular combination with the E36 bags.
User avatar
lewellen
Lifer
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:33 pm
Donating Member #: 635
Location: Monterey, CA

Re: GIVI Luggage

Post by lewellen »

Don C wrote:Twisted Throttle has this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /3066/594/
But by the time you buy the side carriers, bag adapters and the top case carrier you are out 400 bucks or so, and you may be the first person to ever try that particular combination with the E36 bags.
Um.

I have to wonder, first, about the details on the quick-release mechanism. Hopefully it'd be shielded by the bags when they're on the rack, otherwise there's very little point to locking the luggage....

Also, I think I'd want some details about the clearance between the exhaust and the bottom of the bag. (Says the guy who melted off the feet of an E36 from his CB1000's exhaust...)

Good roads,

- Lewellen
Ask not why we should do a thing; rather, ask why we should not.
gezerbike
Basic User
Posts: 234
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:44 pm
Donating Member #: 775
Location: St Charles, Il

Re: GIVI Luggage

Post by gezerbike »

lewellen wrote:
Don C wrote:Twisted Throttle has this:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/pr ... /3066/594/
But by the time you buy the side carriers, bag adapters and the top case carrier you are out 400 bucks or so, and you may be the first person to ever try that particular combination with the E36 bags.
Um.

I have to wonder, first, about the details on the quick-release mechanism. Hopefully it'd be shielded by the bags when they're on the rack, otherwise there's very little point to locking the luggage....

Also, I think I'd want some details about the clearance between the exhaust and the bottom of the bag. (Says the guy who melted off the feet of an E36 from his CB1000's exhaust...)

Good roads,

- Lewellen
I saw the SW quick release luggage racks on a Triumph Tiger and it was real trick. And too answer your thoughts on locking the racks, they make a lock that you can buy for locking the racks on so no one can walk off with your goodies. If I ever thought of putting hard bags on my R, that would be the way I'd go for sure. Very nice stuff.
Mike

1998 R 1100 GS
2008 R 1200 R
2006 Yamamhog Stratoloungerliner
MJB
Lifer
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: GIVI Luggage

Post by MJB »

Get the BMW bags
Waterproof
Uses same key
Easy to install and remove......10 seconds to remove the bags from the bike
Designed for the bike

Sell your existing bike with the cases.
In the long run you will be happier.

P.S. You should order bag liners for the cases. I use Cee-Bailey liners. They work great..
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bags/bmw_bags.html
Michael
2007 R1200R Granite Grey
1979 Honda 750F
Post Reply