Test Ride Day

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Boxer
Lifer
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am
Donating Member #: 2
Location: Atmore, Alabama

Test Ride Day

Post by Boxer »

It threatened to be the hottest day of the year so far here in Atlanta and I got out as early as I could, making the ride down to the dealer's before noon. A little past noon, I was out on the F800GS. Nothing exciting. The seating position is definitely more upright and that darn BMW seat would have to be replaced, but other than that it lived up to all I've heard.

What surprised me was the little F800ST
Image

Even going down with preconceived ideas of my next dream bike, I found this little "toy" bike to not even be close to my next dream bike. It was too cramped in the legs area. The bars are waay down to the front, and I could barely reach the mirrors to adjust them, way out there on that fairing thing. It runs beautifully, of course, and the thoughts of 70 mpg gas mileage had me just about convinced. But I can not ride this bike! It feels like I'm on a kid's tricycle, that moves very fast and is smooth as silk. Maybe if I was thinner around the middle, like Rob, it would change things, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

BTW, see that golden R1150R there in the background? Guess who that belonged to last week? And it's already sold! I asked the guy today how much it sold for. He said $4500!
Image

As for me, its back to the drawing board. I really don't know what to do now. Maybe a R1200R?
User avatar
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
Contact:

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by CycleRob »

The salesman called me yesterday saying it sold, asking if I had the owners manual mentioning it wasn't under the seat. I did have it in 2005, but somehow it remains lost-in-the-move from PA to GA. He told me a (newbie) young guy bought it . . . . his first bike!! :shock: #-o [-(

FYI, I took my wife Ann on her first F800 ride to visit Boxer and Jenny to join them in a couple of pizzas at his great local place, The Gondolier. She like the old bike's wider seat's comfort better. I think Phil seeing and hearing the F800 bike run motivated him for a lengthy dealer test ride. I was on call to help with Phil's OilHead transmission removal for the spline clean/check/lube and that still can happen if job security, the economy or family finances prohibits a new bike purchase.

The dealer making the profit on GoldBoxer Phil & I know about is part of doing business. There still is a risk it will be eaten up by any future failures, but it's more likely they will make even more money servicing it and repairing the crash damage to it. :cry: :( [-( #-o

". . . . that moves very fast and is smooth as silk. (F800ST)
I know. I like that. I also am a little thinner around the front, which places me (that much) closer to the bars!! The weight reduction was the most dramatic change and what I sought to improve in a new bike. Your judgment was prolly clouded by getting off your fully overloaded R1150R and getting on to the much narrower much lighter F800ST with empty bags! The mirrors get adjusted when you stop and they hold the setting. About that fuel economy, my first 2 tankfuls: 58MPG and 63MPG. Still only ~480 miles on it so it's not broken in yet. Oil on the dipstick is still on the full mark and still from-the-bottle brand-new-clean looking. I knew right away it would need Barbacks and GoldValves to make it exceptional, then it'll be much better than GoldBoxer. I just couldn't resist the DOHC water cooled motor and it's radically fast no-load RPM burst on a throttle whack. That instantaneous response also shows up out on the road, while it's still able to accelerate smoothly, snatch free, from 2,000 revs in 6th gear.

I cannot ignore the voice of experience telling me your keeping the 79K mile Dominatrix another 3 or 4 years will be costly and I think, a bad investment. The major parts near the end of their service life (and those BEYOND that) have a punishing, gasping, costly total. Add to that the Service Dept labor required to change them and you wish you made the other choice. R1200R? Other than a new Guzzi Breva 750 or 1100, I'd say it's your best choice for the riding you do, especially since you love the impressive roadworthy abilities of the Boxers so much. The HexHead's dramatic performance improvements, easier maintenance, even better fuel economy, will make you happy. The big monthly bike payment should not be the deciding factor for a guy over 60 (like me!). I was tempted to ride an R1200R, but knew I might not be able to resist it's younger-hotter-sister appeal. I was actually dazzled by the dramatic weight reduction and redesign changes that eliminated many of the R1150R's servicing hassles like the slave and battery accessibility. Then I choked on the non ABS bike's MSRP, the thought of routinely overheating in traffic and maybe having to worry about the driveline after the 3/36 is up.

My take: You only live once and life is too short to be riding untrustworthy worn out old bikes. For you it's prolly the R1200R. For somewhat slenderer, more flexible 152 lb me, it was the F800ST. :smt023

PS
Thanx for that sneaky last picture of my bike!!
.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
jb44
Double Lifer
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:33 pm
Donating Member #: 1
Location: FL, GA, & NC

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by jb44 »

Phil,

Did the dealer have a twin F650GS? It has the same upright seating position of the F800GS, but with lower seat height, and cast wheels and tubeless tires.

Twice I have been a heartbeat away from opening my checkbook for the F650GS twin, but have been scared off by documented woes of the F800 models.

If it weren't for the $15,000+, I would have the R1200R.

For now, I'm content with the Bonneville.... until the next attack of "bike fever".

jb
User avatar
Boxer
Lifer
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am
Donating Member #: 2
Location: Atmore, Alabama

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by Boxer »

Did the dealer have a twin F650GS?
He does! And I thought of that idea. In fact I'm still tossing it around. The ergos will be closer to the F800GS than the old F650GS that I had, I believe.

Another hot day tomorrow. Maybe a return trip to eyeball the R1200R and the F650GS. My Dominatrix is practically stripped down, BTW. No bags, no racks, no extras left on it except the Hyperlites and that switch gizmo under the seat that turns off my signals automatically...SignalMinder, that's it. Oh, and the touring windshield is still up front. Jan Davis, at the dealers, saw my bike today with the windshield, so I guess I better leave it on.

Rob, I'm still with you on the maintenance issues of my old bike. I think I made my mental commitment to trade it when I began selling the extra parts. I just want to make sure I get something that will be comfortable enough for me to enjoy with my old bones without springing for a Gold Wing. Something at least as comfortable as the Roadster.
User avatar
touchton
Lifer
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:46 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Nashville, TN USA

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by touchton »

I'm going to the dealer in Nashville tomorrow morning to ride the F800ST. I doubt that I'll buy anything but I do want to see what all the fuss is about.
User avatar
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
Contact:

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by CycleRob »

Thad, If you've got "a lot out front" then the handlebars are going to be "waaay out there, too far away". You might be OK with your tallness and longer arms.

I was motivated to get a new bike because my 8 yr old 64K mile 50R was becoming over-the-hill and starting to hit me in the wallet. Clutch slave, FD bearings . . . . I decided not to wait around and see what's next. I gave it all a lot of thought. A religiously cared for premium quality German engineered roadster should never have such expensive failures. The OilHead transmission's difficult disassembly routine for the impending seal or input shaft R&R gave me a headache. Likewise for the FD pinion shaft seal too. The bike's heavy curb weight and propensity for overheating made me notice newer bikes. I liked the advanced technology, cornering prowess, fuel efficiency, belt drive and light weight of the F800ST. There is no other non-chain drive bike, Japanese, Italian, German or American that measures up to what the ST offers for such a good price. The serious piston slap, disfunctional imobilizer antenna, engine cut-outs, leaky valve covers, floppy too short mirrors and rear wheel shaft bearing problems of the first 2 years have been completely resolved. Other than SBDS (Sudden Battery Death Syndrome) after the 2nd year, the 08 and 09 models have been trouble free. SBDS is believed to be caused by it's solid mounting on the plastic airbox, transmitting the destructive vibration. My F800's battery will be surrounded by pink rigid ½" hi density sheet foam tomorrow.

I gave up the TeleLever's advantages, functional system cases, the powerful 700W alternator and the limo ride a heavy bike provides -but- I exchanged them for a dozen new and wonderful things with better overall road performance and endless entertainment value. Even working on it is more fun. Any out of warranty engine or transmission disassembly would be a breeze! The TB synch and valve adjust intervals are yearly.

I'm thinking of a weekday day ride (meet?) at the Tail-of-the-Dragon after it's broken in. It's only a 105 mile, 3 hour, 1.6 gallon ride away.

.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
sabertooth

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by sabertooth »

I'll have to make a trip to Rob's to see the new bike =D> . I like the look of the 800 ST but I guess I'll hang onto the 2004 R1150R for a while.

Joey
User avatar
touchton
Lifer
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:46 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Nashville, TN USA

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by touchton »

I rode the F800ST today and I really like it. It feels so nimble. I don't' have a problem with the more aggressive stance. Like Boxer, I'm a Lane Bryant gal, but I've been going to the gym and my core muscles are in the best shape they've been since I was a kid. If you need to get in shape, look into a gym that has kettle bell classes. Back to the F800ST. The handlebars are out there more, but I can sit comfortably without pressure on my wrists. I adjusted the mirrors before I took off. I see what Boxer means. But the mirror position is more useful than the stock mirrors on the R1150R. This bike is smooth. Both power and shifting. I like it a lot. At this point, that is top on my list. I may try to sell the R1150R.

If I get one, I'm getting ABS. I know it's not popular, but I think all my street vehicles should have ABS. From what I understand it's not linked on this bike. Is it easier to service on the F800ST? What about other routine maintenance items? Is the F800ST as serviceable to the novice mechanic as the R1150R is? What are the service intervals?
User avatar
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
Contact:

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by CycleRob »

touchton wrote:1--From what I understand it's (ABS is) not linked on this bike.
2-- Is it (ABS) easier to service on the F800ST?
3-- What about other routine maintenance items?
4-- Is the F800ST as serviceable to the novice mechanic as the R1150R is?
5-- What are the service intervals?
1-- No, they are NOT linked! =D> :smt023
2-- I dunno. It should be, as there's only one component.
3-- Essentially just oil-n-filter every 6,000 miles. Valve clearance "check" every 12,000 miles. No TB synch. No fuel filter. No clutch slave (cable operated). The 12K mile air filter is $20.57 full price. If valve(s) need adjusting, you take the much less expensive ride to my place for the (easy) camshaft removal, shim change lesson and a man sized lunch and supper. One rider's F800ST has gone 48K without needing a shim change. Remember, Rotax makes it, not BMW. :lol:
4-- Yes. See #3.
5-- The display tells you. I assume that'll be every 6,000 miles plus one every year, especially if the 6,000 miles is not attained. They recommend belt replacement every 24,000 miles, but riders seeing it still looks good have gone over 2x that.

The ONE oil supply is the easy to find 10W-40 M/C engine oil that also lubes the (easy/cheaper/quicker to replace) wet clutch and it's (comparatively easier to repair) transmission.

If you do the math, it's less expensive . . . especially when you consider the 51 - - 72 MPG fuel economy. I am using Regular with no pinging and have gotten 58 and 63 MPG so far. Owner's manual says Premium, but Regular can be used with reduced performance and range. Couldn't tell from my great MPG figures and following the <5,000 RPM break-in with no full throttle yet.

.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
User avatar
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:43 am
Location: iowa city, ia

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by iowabeakster »

Phil,

Have you considered the Suzuki V-strom (big or little)? That seems like a match for what you are looking for(although not a BMW). All purpose, lighter weight, throw on the Givi bags and head cross country... We'd have to start a new section just for you too. :lol:
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
User avatar
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Posts: 2857
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:29 am
Donating Member #: 1
Location: Enjoying retirement in Gainesville GA. USA
Contact:

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by CycleRob »

The 650 V-Strom is really an excellent bike with a huge loyal following that it has earned. It's a tall bike that needs to have an inseam longer than Phil's. Too bad, that 650 V-Twin has it all.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
User avatar
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer
Posts: 1962
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:43 am
Location: iowa city, ia

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by iowabeakster »

It's a tall bike that needs to have an inseam longer than Phil's. Too bad, that 650 V-Twin has it all.
Darn, I thought that bike would be ideal for Phil's riding. If he could stomach the styling (in black of course), how about the Gladius? Not quite the "all-purpose" bike of the V-Strom. It has the same 650 V-twin, but has a much lower seat. The SV-650's seat splits the difference between the Gladius and the V-Strom. I thought the black Gladius was really good looking too. The blue and white one...not so much.
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
jb44
Double Lifer
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:33 pm
Donating Member #: 1
Location: FL, GA, & NC

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by jb44 »

iowabeakster wrote:
..... how about the Gladius? ...
:smt118

I think Phil is a Beemer guy.........

jb
User avatar
Boxer
Lifer
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am
Donating Member #: 2
Location: Atmore, Alabama

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by Boxer »

The Suzuki web site says the seat height of the V-Strom is 32.7 inches. The F800GS I rode had the low seat and BMW says that seat height is 33.5. I was able to touch both feet down a little lower than my toes...But that nearly 1 inch lower difference would work for me on the V-Strom.

The Gladius is out. As someone else said, "It looks a little too vanilla."
jb44
Double Lifer
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:33 pm
Donating Member #: 1
Location: FL, GA, & NC

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by jb44 »

Boxer wrote:The Suzuki web site says the seat height of the V-Strom is 32.7 inches. The F800GS I rode had the low seat and BMW says that seat height is 33.5. ...
Both the V-Strom and the F800GS can be lowered.

with a link:
http://koubalink.com/DL650-1000%20V-strom.html

or with springs:
http://www.hyperpro.com/news/detail.asp?NewsID=35

Do we need to start a "Help Boxer find a bike" thread? :)

In the end, it needs to be one that makes you smile, not anyone else.

jb

Sent you a PM
User avatar
Boxer
Lifer
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am
Donating Member #: 2
Location: Atmore, Alabama

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by Boxer »

I took a look at those Hyperpro springs. Anyone know how difficult it is to change out those springs? I kinda like the idea of lowering the F800 this way and keeping that extra 14 HP.

I got a call from the dealer Sat. that a used R1200R came in and I might want to come look at it. I'm going tomorrow. If it is not a good deal for me, I'm taking a harder gander at the F800Gs again. It is fun looking.
OU812
Lifer
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:15 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Buffalo Grove IL Chi Town Sub.

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by OU812 »

Hope you find your ride Phil! :D
I tried one of these but I tipy toed the beast.
http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/adventure/XB12XT/
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
jb44
Double Lifer
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:33 pm
Donating Member #: 1
Location: FL, GA, & NC

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by jb44 »

Boxer wrote:.... I kinda like the idea of lowering the F800 this way and keeping that extra 14 HP.
Phil, find a dealer that has a twin F650GS for you to test ride. If I recall correctly, that extra 14 hp only kicks in at high rpm. During normal riding of the 650 twin, the difference in hp is not evident.

I love the more rugged looks of the 800GS, but the cast wheels and tubeless tires of the 650 appealed to me more.

Good luck on your quest.

jb
User avatar
Boxer
Lifer
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am
Donating Member #: 2
Location: Atmore, Alabama

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by Boxer »

I got a call Sat. night from the dealer. I didn't catch the call because I didn't hear the phone. I didn't hear the phone because I had not reset my ringtone since I was in school and had it set to just vibrate. The message said they had received a used trade-in R1200R that I might be interested in. I went to the dealers today to look at it. They hadn't even had time to "clean" it up for resale, so I got to see it as it was brought in by the owner. 5,050 miles, silver color, valve cover protectors and a Parabellum windshield were the extras I saw on it. It started on first try and seemed to run fine. I forgot to ask the model year.....$9500. I sat on it and was not impressed to go for it. I still have my eye on a new F650GS twin.

He said to bring in my bike for an iron-clad appraisal for trade-in value and it would be good for whatever I decide to do. I questioned him about special ordering, and he said it was fine but you never know when the "build" dates are going to come up over in Bavaria Land. It could be tomorrow. It could be in 3 months.
Now I'm looking for a dealer within riding distance to go test ride that 650...Or I have to wait on my dealer here to get the next one about mid July. Anyone know where I can see one in Tennessee or Alabama?...or SC.
Maybe I can knock out 2 birds with one stone tomorrow! :biggrin:
bobw
Basic User
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:11 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Morganton, NC

Re: Test Ride Day

Post by bobw »

Touring Sport shows a G 650 only, but it may be worth a call. CarolinaEuro has a few, but it's a little longer ride to Greensboro. I can't tell on the web page for Charlotte.

http://www.carolinaeuro.com/

http://www.bmw-ducati.com/

http://www.touringsportbmw.com/

I use Touring Sport and friends have told me they were happy at both Charlotte and Greensboro too. Good luck!
Post Reply