Page 1 of 2
Anti Vibration mirrors?
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:23 am
by John I. Stephen
Any ideas; I would really like to see behind me clearly rather than a blurred image? Suggestions ?
Tighten 'em?
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:30 am
by qfman
Funny - of all the bikes I have ridden over the last few years, my R1150R has got the least vibey mirrors. I'm thinkin they might improve if you check the torsion of the nut that fixes the mirrors to the bars and maybe try adjusting the angle at which the mirror arms point. I've got mine set pointing at right angles to the centre line of the bike.
Tom
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:29 am
by Spookymonster
When you say "check the torsion" do you mean make it tighter, looser, or right on spec?
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:44 am
by DJ Downunder
I got my R1150R in 01 and have never had a problem with vibration in my mirors...your problem might be a tune-up thing.
I think it was CycleRob that once said the heavy mirrors vibrate less..and if you have a problem with them vibrating too much you could drill a small hole in the plastic on the back of the mirror and fill the space with sand or something heavy and then seal up the hole.
I don't know anyone who has ever done this...you could be the guinea-pig if you like..

..and let us know if it works.
DJ
Re: Anti Vibration mirrors?
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:33 am
by REDSTAN
John I. Stephen"]Any ideas; I would really like to see behind me clearly rather than a blurred image? Suggestions ?[/quote]

john try to find some smoother roads

but thats not to eazy in the uk

the r i have on a 03 plate vibes at about 3.5thow to 3.8 then pin sharpe

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 am
by John I. Stephen
Mmm; Pin Sharp is not something I have experienced in my first 3 months (1500 miles) of riding the R. I am having the bike 'checked over' by BMW so I'll maybe get their views (no pun intended !) also.
Thanks
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:59 am
by gregor
I've a 2002 with ABS as well.
My mirrors are clear normally only vibrating a bit above tickover, as were those in my K75 and R80/7. And they reach past my shoulders.
A mechanical problem I fear.
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 am
by John I. Stephen
OK; I don't wish to exaggerate this; the bike is not "vibrating" as in "juddering". There is always a constant tingle in the toes

and the mirrors will always identify vehicles. However, the image is always blurred.
I would say that anything from 70mph and the image is only good for identifying the size of vehicle; no chance of anything more.
If it were a 'mechanical' problem what should I ask the dealer to check; as I need to be specific if I booking her in?
Thanks
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:30 am
by Brady
I have noticed that my mirrors vibrate considerably more now that I have removed the can. If you think about it, sound is vibration. More sound, more vibration. It's a trade off, and I wouldn't say I'm completly on one side of the fence. Yet.
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:59 am
by gregor
Not an expert - but 'synchronizing the throttle bodies' might be a requirement. My mirrors produce a clear image at most speeds.
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am
by John I. Stephen
gregor wrote:'synchronizing the throttle bodies'
Well I haven't a clue what that means but I shall happily suggest this to the dealer !
I am very interested to read that, apart from just above tick-over your images are crystal clear. I had best double check the rigidity of the mirrors also, but I am certain they are secure; they don't move or change angle.
VIBES SOD EN JUST RIDE THE BEAST
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:59 pm
by REDSTAN

JOHN all boxers vibe to some extent it's just part of owning a BMW

balancing the throttle bodies means both pot's get the same petrol/air mix to work together best done on a dyno by the dealer

. you may get some vibes through the bars and foot rest don't fuss enjoy the RIDE

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:03 pm
by Spookymonster
How about bar ends? How effective do they tend to be at reducing vibration?
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:45 pm
by REDSTAN
Spookymonster wrote:How about bar ends? How effective do they tend to be at reducing vibration?

bar end work OK as long as they are not to heavy that you carnt pick the bike up if you drop it

your bike should have come with bar ends

not a good idea to remove them

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:36 pm
by CycleRob
DJ Downunder, You are correct about my advocating adding weight to the hollow insides of the stock or the K1200 mirrors like I have on my `02 1150R. I'm going to do it real soon. I didn't think about sand as the medium to add and I wonder if it would get past the plastic/glass interface - - - there is no visible rubber gasket around the K1200 mirror glass.
I was thinking about 1/4" studs and ball bearings, fed into a drilled 1/4" hole, held in place with intermittent big squirts of hot glue, to form a large internal "assembly" bonded to the interior outboard portion of the mirror's bulging housing. The hot glue would form a very sticky, form fitting, internal weight that would dampen the oscillations just like a finger does when you want to see what kind of "car" is following you so fast.
Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:47 pm
by yjleesvrr
CycleRob wrote:Heavy mirrors vibrate less. It's the mass/energy laws of physics. The mirrors on an old Suzuki GSXR-1100 weigh almost 10 pounds each. They provided lots of entertainment when I handed them to customers and said "Here, hold this". Can you say "H-o-l-y F____."
Not to mention the natural dampening effect of sheer mass and changing the natural frequency of the mirror assembly.
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 pm
by iowabeakster
Another good filler material might be small lead shot (bird shot).
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm
by elmandarino
OK; I don't wish to exaggerate this; the bike is not "vibrating" as in "juddering". There is always a constant tingle in the toes and the mirrors will always identify vehicles. However, the image is always blurred.
John. You need to limit yourself to half a bottle of wine before riding. The images are always clearer that way.
I'm afraid I don't have any blurring images in mirrors but then I have K series mirrors fitted for some reason. If you are getting a lot of vibration it is only fair as I had far more vibration on my GT500 than you. Still, I'm sure it can be fixed and as they say, Beemers do vibrate a bit - that is what they do.
el Mandarino
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:24 pm
by Sunbeemer
How about using lead shot for more weight? You could get some from a shotgun shell (rabbit-squirrel loads?) or empty out your machinist's hammer!

Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:47 am
by leoquattro
John
I just changed my mirrors not because of vibrations but because I wanted to see something more than my own elbows. I installed two nice looking Rizoma mirrors (Wunderlich catalog) which allow me to see better but they vibrate more than the originals.
Cyclerob is right: they are lighter mirrors.
Ciao
Leoquattro