Page 1 of 1

Driving Lights: PIAA or Motolight?

Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:54 pm
by wilyequid
Okay... I"ve scared the be-jezuz outta' myself a few times ....I live up a beautiful Colorado canyon and while the twisties are a treat each day, the deer...and in a month...the elk at night, not to mention all manner of fox, skunk, and raccoon that cross my path at night... I hope to get an elk this , but not using my R as the means...(uh, check that, elk WILL always win over the R). So, this is my long-winded way of askin'...if you got driving lights...what ones? Recommendations gladly accepted...and encouraged.

El Wilito

PIAA

Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:19 am
by NorseMan9
I don't have any...yet. But when I do, it most likely will be PIAA. I was a the national rally in VT last month and was very impressed with the quality and range of choices available from PIAA.

FWIW.

lights

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:44 am
by motozark
check out the saeng night cutters...very bright and adjustable on the fly. I have been using them for the last two years, year around and they are worth the price :D

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:40 am
by 12bar1
I have the caliper mount Motolights and am very happy with them. They also held up just fine after my little run in with a delivery truck a couple of months ago. My only experience with PIAA was with a headlight bulb, it was expensive, worked OK and burned out quickly.

HID

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:16 pm
by socalrob
I put an HID kit (should say the dealer put it in) in my RR a year or two ago and am extremely happy with the light output, bright & broad (as in seeing the sides of the road) and can run 70 plus on a dark freeway and not be outrunning the light.

I figure I will pair that with some motolights when I change to the R1200R.

Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:09 pm
by Airman
I've always wanted a pair of the PIAA 910's. One of the guys here mounted a pair and It's an impressive looking setup. I think 510's are popular with the ADV crowd, but they are a bit large and beastly.
Not, perhaps, in keeping with the RR's sporty looks.

Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:03 am
by rdsmith3
I have had Motolights for fours years and have been very happy with them. They are excellent quality. I have them on all the time for both enhanced visibility (seeing better) and conspicuity (being seen better). With regard to the latter, I use 50W yellow bulbs.

Motolights use bulbs that are easily obtainable at many places, including Home Depot. My understanding is that PIAA uses proprietary bulbs.

HID sounds interesting. I use a 90/100 W headlight bulb, with relays. That was a huge improvement in visibility, especially the high beam.

For driving lights on a budget, consider the Hella FF 50 lights. They are available for a very good price at many places on the internet, including eBay.