Back tire rim has a leaky dent

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Hidalgo
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Back tire rim has a leaky dent

Post by Hidalgo »

My Rockstar that was purchased 4 years ago had a dent on the back wheel at the time of purchase. It was never an issue. I replaced the tire a year ago and every once in a while I would hear the tire air come out and then it would stop. It rarely ever happened. All i did was check the tire pressure, inflate to specs and the leak would stop when the pressure was back to norm. lately it's been leaking consistently. I put air in the morning to 44 PSI and by the afternoon ride home from work is about 30PSI. I grabbed a rubber mallet and pounded the rim as much as I could carefully and it made progress significant enough to maybe stop the leak all together.
If that fails I have two choices with a possible third:
1-Put a tube on the back tire.
2-Fill it with a small amount of Flix-A-Flat to seal it better.
3-Continue to hammer away carefully (could I crack the wheel?)
Is there a fourth choice beside replacing the rim?
mogu83
Lifer

Re: Back tire rim has a leaky dent

Post by mogu83 »

There are a number of places that can fix a dent rim. Check locally and see if one is near you.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Back tire rim has a leaky dent

Post by riceburner »

Hidalgo wrote:My Rockstar that was purchased 4 years ago had a dent on the back wheel at the time of purchase. It was never an issue. I replaced the tire a year ago and every once in a while I would hear the tire air come out and then it would stop. It rarely ever happened. All i did was check the tire pressure, inflate to specs and the leak would stop when the pressure was back to norm. lately it's been leaking consistently. I put air in the morning to 44 PSI and by the afternoon ride home from work is about 30PSI. I grabbed a rubber mallet and pounded the rim as much as I could carefully and it made progress significant enough to maybe stop the leak all together.
If that fails I have two choices with a possible third:
1-Put a tube on the back tire.
2-Fill it with a small amount of Flix-A-Flat to seal it better.
3-Continue to hammer away carefully (could I crack the wheel?)
Is there a fourth choice beside replacing the rim?
Get it fixed.
There's plenty of places that can do it (where are you?). Car wheels (and the BMW wheels) are fairly soft metal so a 'dent' should be fixable relatively cheaply.

I've had it done before, but that was about 30 years ago!!

(By Hagon in London for what it's worth).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life