Page 1 of 1

R1150R Oil Temp? / Cylinder Head Painting?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:57 am
by Disney
Hi, Iv'e searched the topics and can't the answer to the following.

I want to know whats the hottest the oil temp gets to? This is as I want to repaint the cylinder heads, and I'm not sure what temp paint I need.

If anyone has any advice on reoainting the heads, that would be appreciated too. Should I just remove the loose paint, and paint over or does it all need to come off?

Many Thanks

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:29 pm
by popgazer
Check your auto store, they should have hi-temp paint designed for engines.
You are supposed to apply it to the engine, let it sit for 24 Hrs then run for at least 1 hour to cook it.
Anyway, the directions are on the can.
I scratched my black engine by laying down the bike the first day I got it 2 years ago. I let lean while waiting on the driveway for the garage door to open. It looked pretty ugly. I painted over the scratches. NO problem since then.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:05 pm
by Disney
Thanks for the info, but its temp I need to know. I dont want to do it with some paint which might flake off again. There are engine paints at 160c, 300c and 650c. I could just go for 650c paint, but I think the paint quality (Appearance and durability) at this tempreture is not as good a finish.

Thats why I thought if anyone new the temp at which the oil runs, I could select the appropriate paint.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:34 pm
by jamais
Disney, I painted mine with Duplicolor's Silver Frost. Pick a color of your choice, temperature will not be an issue. Mine has lasted for over 30K miles.

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:24 pm
by bimrluvr
I'm pretty sure the normal engine oil temp range is in the owner's manual.

The AMSOIL White Paper looked at viscosity of oils up to 100 degrees C, scarring at temps up to 150 degrees C. and volatility (light components off-gassing) up to 250 degrees C.


http://www.amsoil.com

Re: R1150R Oil Temp? / Cylinder Head Painting?

Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:55 pm
by jm1515
Disney wrote:Hi, Iv'e searched the topics and can't the answer to the following.

I want to know whats the hottest the oil temp gets to? This is as I want to repaint the cylinder heads, and I'm not sure what temp paint I need.

If anyone has any advice on reoainting the heads, that would be appreciated too. Should I just remove the loose paint, and paint over or does it all need to come off?

Many Thanks
I have a CycleRob-inspired VDO oil temp guage mounted. The hottest I've ever seen is just shy of 280' on a 90'+ day sitting in stop and go traffic....

Oiltemp

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:50 am
by KHaynes
This has been posted before and was originally taken from bmwst.com. My apologies to the original author as I don't have his name. The diagram is a schematic of the R1150RT temperature gauge with the corresponding oil temperatures that were tested. The tests were actually done on an R1100RT but the gauges are the same.
Image

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:09 pm
by Disney
Thanks for all the advice, I can check the paint temp on the cans now. Some so called engine enamel only goes to 150c, so what engines its suited to must be limited. Most high temp paints got to 500 - 750c so any of these should be OK.

Thanks again.