Page 1 of 1
throttle sticking...
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:28 am
by insanehussain
...methinks the cables might need replacing. definitely no interference from the bar end weight.
anybody go through this exercise? get manual. get parts. install. synch throttle bodies. its that simple, right?
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:42 am
by mcooperstein
my throttle cable started to fray, up at the top which caused it to bind sometimes sticking the throttle open. The throttle cable assembly on an R1150R consists of three cables. One that goes from the hand control to a throttle junction box, then a left and right throttle body cable. If you have ABS, it's a bitch to replace the main cable, as you need to get under the ABS unit to get to throttle junction box. It ended up being an all day affair at my dealership to handle this otherwise simple service. Luckily it was covered under warranty! Otherwise, it would have cost lots!!
Mark
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:36 am
by jamais
Insane, I used this link to replace my throttle cables:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... tle+cables
I only replaced the two throttle cables, omitting the "high idle" cable's replacement since it wasn't a problem. However you'll note that you will have to remove the "high idle" cable in order to remove the box from the bike in order to replace the throttle cables. I disassembled the high idle lever assembly which was not required. I almost lost the tiny steel ball which is the friction source for the lever.
I replaced mine around 24K and I have to say the improvement was astonishing. Prior to replacement I noticed the throttle wouldn't snap back as quickly as it did when the bike was new. After replacement, releasing the throttle gave that "snap/click" that it used to have.
I got my cables from Chicago BMW. When I received the package, I found the short cable had a slight kink in it. I called Chicago BMW and they promptly sent a replacement. So be sure to inspect the cables.
I'm really slow when I do something new. This job took me about 3/4 of the day but next time I could probably do it in about 4 hours followed by a throttle body sync.
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:50 am
by insanehussain
jamais wrote:I replaced mine around 24K and I have to say the improvement was astonishing.
parts fiche, here i come! thanks for the link, jamais.
sound like its about time too... 38K on the odo here. i'll budget a whole day for this affair.
Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:53 pm
by gelbe Kulter
My throttle grip starts to stick after extended use of the heated grips on the higher setting.
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:49 am
by rdsmith3
Doug,
That is probably not a throttle cable problem if it sticks when you use the heated grips. Check that the right edge of the rubber grip is not rubbing on the bar end. You can put a washer inside the bar end to get a little more space. That is the easiest, simplest solution.
I think that the rubber expands when it gets warmed by the heated grips, causing it to rub against the bar end.