need last minute advice, leaky oil cap
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:22 pm
Hey all. Granted this is last minute, but thought I'd give it a try and see if anyone responds.
My oil cap (on the LHS valve cover) oozes somethin' aweful. has been that way for a while, but slowly getting worse.
I have removed the cap assembly and removed all kinds of gook that appeared to be interfering with the proper seating of the assembly - but since then it has worsened. I think that gook was acting like a sealant.....I never should have removed it. Ultimately I am going to upgrade this....
Any way, supposed to leave tomorrow early for ride to Washington DM - about 500 miles each way.
Any Mcguyver suggestions to slow the weeping of oil from around the cap receptacle? Gorilla tape? Ride all the way with my boot pressing down on the cap? I have already replaced the rubber washer on the cap, and the washer on the assembly. I think it is just poorly designed.
Any help would help!!
Thanks,
Steven
My oil cap (on the LHS valve cover) oozes somethin' aweful. has been that way for a while, but slowly getting worse.
I have removed the cap assembly and removed all kinds of gook that appeared to be interfering with the proper seating of the assembly - but since then it has worsened. I think that gook was acting like a sealant.....I never should have removed it. Ultimately I am going to upgrade this....
Any way, supposed to leave tomorrow early for ride to Washington DM - about 500 miles each way.
Any Mcguyver suggestions to slow the weeping of oil from around the cap receptacle? Gorilla tape? Ride all the way with my boot pressing down on the cap? I have already replaced the rubber washer on the cap, and the washer on the assembly. I think it is just poorly designed.
Any help would help!!
Thanks,
Steven