Aftermarket exhaust noise level

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

utzguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Aftermarket exhaust noise level

Post by utzguy »

I have seen that Laser and Staintune both have exhaust systems for the K1200R and I think Remus has one.
Has anyone heard any of these in person? Laser has a recording on their site, but without any reference, e.g. a recording of a stock bike in the same conditions, it is worthless. I would kind of like to get a smaller/lighter exhaust, but I am afraid they will make the bike too loud.
DEU
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I have a pic of an underseat pipe also...anyone interested?

DJ
CupOHemlock
Basic User

Post by CupOHemlock »

I think the bike sounds fabulous with the stock can on there. Just my .02 though.

COH (Rich)
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

I have a pic of an underseat pipe also...anyone interested?
Of course... if you can't post it, send it to [email protected]

BP
Bill
'07 R1200RT
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Thanks BP...I knew it wouldn't be long before someone did it...not a great pic but here it is...it's a new K1200S....nice paint job.

Now that looks ...ok....but check out the side view.....peeeeuww!... :shock: .. :smt078

Looks like he has just lifted the rear of the seat 6" to fit the cans under it.

There's gotta be a law against that...either do it right...or don't do it at all...that's what I think.

DJ

big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

not sure I like that too much...

He should just run sans can like us!!! :smt103
Bill
'07 R1200RT
utzguy
Basic User

Post by utzguy »

COH, I agree on the sound. It's great. I am interested in a aftermarket exhaust for weight/size reasons, but I don't want to sacrifice the sound quality or level. Which probably means I will stick with the stocker.
DEU
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Actually if you look closely he lifted the back of the seat....sic....the cans appear to be right of a R1100S,. The paint doesn't do much for me either.....just my 2 cents. :roll:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
rivi7777
Basic User

oogly

Post by rivi7777 »

That's just nasty all around. Talk about throwing your crotch into the tank!
Looks most comfortable, no?
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

Beggin' yer pardon,

but that thing resembles a Marmalade Tabby in heat.....
Member #31
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Maybe Jr. @ OCC got a hold of that baby???
Bill
'07 R1200RT
brad black

Post by brad black »

the staintune is not as loud as i expected, it's the usual 4 cylinder noise without the real wail. they're fairly loud for a std bike anyway. not sure how they got it thru - maybe it's a deeper note thanmost 4s.

on the dynojet i use our ex demo made 136 all std and 141 with the staintune. it made less than std when running the staintune with the baffle in.
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

I've heard both the Laser and the Remus on the K1200S. They are not loud at all. Louder than the stock ones but not by much. However, they have the nice "wom, wom" bass sound.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
rivi7777
Basic User

exhaust...

Post by rivi7777 »

I'm trying to decide which slip-on system to buy. I like the sound of the stock exhaust but that sucker is a cannon! Almost in the Yami Warrior category. What I don't like is the heat coming off it with the Cat located inside the can. I can foresee some burns and melted gear coming...

What I'm looking for is a titanium slip-on with NO mfgrs emblem pop riveted on. I want to be able to remove it for cleaner appearances. Thus far the only one I've been able to find is the Laser DuoTech with an emblem held on with adhesive that is removable. Laser's other system - the HotCam - is riveted, as is Remus, and virtually all others. Suggestions?

I also want to lose the stock passenger pegs and muffler mounts which I think are an eyesore. Anyone know where to get a nice clean muffler hanger/mount?
wierd bob
Basic User

Post by wierd bob »

I have heard both the Lazer duoTone and the HOTCAM. The HOTCAM really wails (well it is what they run on the powercup - and you get some nice blue flame on over-run) but is a little harsh and loud for the road.
Now the DUOTONE is a must. At idle it is a bit louder than stock but as you wind the bike out the you get a nice deep thrumm before it really starts to wail at high RPM. It never gets too much but everyone else will hear you coming - including the cops!
I think the stock pipe is far too quiet and it also weighs alot more than the Lazer since it has that Catalytic converter in it.
i have a titanium Remus (running with no baffle) with the Y piece on my rockster and it is louder than the Lazer on the K1200R (though the K1200R on full song will have a highr note)

Hope this helps

Bob