Page 1 of 1

TPMS Error message

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:09 pm
by kbnesbitt
I was out today for a nice ride in the country. The route I take is a 200 km round trip, so I have plenty of time to enjoy the mediocre weather we have had recently (mostly cloudy, high of 14C, with 30 km/h winds).

I was on my way back when the red warning triangle lit up, and my trip computer displayed the tire pressures. The front tire reading had dropped down to 1.4 bar. I pulled off to the side of the road to check the tire, and found no sign of puncturing, and no missing valve caps. The tire was still firm, and when I checked the display again, the reading was back up to 2.6 bar. I rode home without issues, but it was a bit unnerving to have this happen. Have any other members had a similar issue with their bikes?

Re: TPMS Error message

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:59 am
by websterize
Have not seen that on my '09 with TPM. I see you're on a 2007. If you continue to get false-positives, the battery in the front tire's RDC sensor is probably to blame.

Re: TPMS Error message

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:49 am
by wink41
I've wondered about the sensors myself. I have a '13 with 7k and found lately the sensors read consistently low. My pressure gauge is very consistent but soon after filling the tires,the computer read 2 psi low. Wonder if that's related to what you saw.

Re: TPMS Error message

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:54 pm
by deilenberger
wink41 wrote:I've wondered about the sensors myself. I have a '13 with 7k and found lately the sensors read consistently low. My pressure gauge is very consistent but soon after filling the tires,the computer read 2 psi low. Wonder if that's related to what you saw.
I doubt very much if that's related. If you have the factory system, it is temperature compensated.. your hand guage may be accurate, but it's not adjusting it's reading to account for the air temperature inside the tire. They should agree at around 70F. And a 2PSI error on an average tire pressure gauge can often be accounted for with the air released when removing the gauge from the tire (since MC tires have very little air volume, only a small amount of air released will make a large difference in pressure.)