bmw HP 2 sport

Forum dedicated to the amazing s1000r. No ads, US based!

Moderator: Moderators

uncle BS
Basic User

bmw HP 2 sport

Post by uncle BS »

so whats the deal people-- only 2 yrs they were in production? I'm hearing that they were only 20% faster, quicker etc than a standard r1200r. I know the price was outrageous and I'm hearing they really dont give the best ride. In fact what i'm seeing is people don't keep em very long before they're on the market for re-sale. any thoughts from someone that has more insight than me on the hp2- sport?

i also wonder as to reliability but heck to find one with more than 5 thousand miles on it is rare. correct me if i'm wrong but i think 08 an 09 were only yrs of H P 2 Sport?
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: bmw HP 2 sport

Post by omg1010 »

In my opinion the HP2 Sport is better compared with the R1200S (rather than the R1200R). The HP2S was a radical sports bike and a technology vehicle - because BMW wanted to show the world what can be achieved). However they did not go far enough as the power was really not much superior to the R1200S. Hence the HP2S was not good for touring, it was not powerful enough to give you fun on the racetrack and the only remaining argument to buy one was the technology (shifter, dashboard and other gimmicks).

Thats why you probably find a lot of these bikes 2nd hand - because people quickly realized that the bike was overly expensive and kinda limited in its use.

Bearing in mind the limited production it maybe a good idea to store one of these for the next century. Might gain in value ...

Brgds
Oliver
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Let me add something. The HP2S officially has 133 HP whilst the R1200S has 122 HP. With very mild "tuning" (different exhaust which gains in torque only and reprogramming of the bikes CPU and pipercross airfilter) my R1200S already produces 134 HP. With other pistons and some work on the intake it would be easy to bring the 12S to over 140 HP (without sacrificing on the durability). There are some folks here who have brought their R1200S to 150 HP and use the bike on the race track. No problem with the durability.

Thats why I say that BMW did not go far enough with the HP2S. Its a very nice bike though and I'd love to have one ... But damn expensive for my taste. Too much for my wallet.

Brgds
Oliver
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Addition: some tuning aficionados of our local community have just cracked the 160 HP barrier (and 155 NM torque) with their R1200S. They do wheelies in 4th gear ... So why the hell buy a HP2 Sport?

Brgds
Oliver
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

The hp2 is a awsome bike . can't really compare the r1200s to it.may look simular and thats it.
Not a bike to go touring on.
They are a great handling bike.not the fastest but awsome otherwise.All adjustable bars footrests.
Now few years on the value is going up by the minute.
Not a bike to commute on.
some days its not worth chewing through the straps and chains in the morning
cokure
Basic User

Post by cokure »

Hello,
I am new here but i have been riding with the hp2 sport on track and with the bmw powercup also.
The powercup is more powerful but on a track day the hp2 is also fast !!
If you take a r1200s or a hp2 it is not only the difference in power that counts,
also the weight of the bike.
Sorry for the bad English but i live in Belgium.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

the hp2 and the megamoto as well....soooo loved the colors.

price is too high for what you get though. MOoney no object, Id own both of them...(and a 1000 hp4 lol)

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.