Photo Link

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Photo Link

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Ok, I've been on bike forums related to all other bikes I've owned, posted pictures, etc.
.... CAN NOT figure this one out... YES, I've searched using key words I thought made sense ... NO JOY. :-X

Maybe the site I use to share photos is the problem (Picasa) ... so, at the risk of showing my utter stupidity, can someone send me an "ABC, 123" so I can post pictures instead of links?

Anyway, here's a couple shots of our first ride. Short run down to Granbury for some Babe's Fried Chicken. Great afternoon for a ride. Stayed a bit long at the restaurant and rode home in the dark. Low beams must not be correctly adjusted because they chop off at what seems a very close distance. Great side visibility though and high beams were perfect.

https://picasaweb.google.com/PicasaBlai ... directlink
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Re: Photo Link

Post by garr2 »

Before you can include a photo in a post/message on the r1150r.org website you have to upload the photo from your computer to a photo hosting website. I use Photobucket http://photobucket.com/ because it's free but there are others. The first time you go to the Photobucket website you will need to open your own account into which you can then upload your photos. Once you have uploaded the photo to your Photobucket account you copy the direct link URL of that photo, return to your r1150r.org post/message, click the Img box just above where you're typing your post/message then paste the Photobucket direct link inside the brackets that have appeared in your post/message. That direct link then will allow the photo to appear in your post/message once you preview or submit the post/message.

I presume the r1150r.org website uses this method of including photos to avoid having to store data intensive photo files on their server. Instead all they have to do is store a link to the photo on the photo hosting website. I don't know why photo hosting websites offer this free service, it's just good that they do.

Anyway have a play. Photobucket is pretty user friendly and it doesn't take long to work it out.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

Another discussion of how to do it is here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=22702&p=199535&hilit=photo#p199535
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

garr2, dbrick,

Thanks for the help and direction. These are the same steps I've used in my attempt to post a picture within the discussion thread.

Picasa has an area containing the "direct link" to the photo, which I inserted this URL between the image code... but it didn't work. [img]pasted%20link%20here[/img]

I won't waste anymore space on this topic... I'll figure it out at some point.

Thanks again for your assistance.
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

It appears there are similar problems posting photos from Facebook and Picasa to this board. Facebook wouldn't work for me, so I went with Shutterfly and it seems to work fine. Photobucket seems popular too.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

NB: The image link you past into the image insertion tool has to be an actual web link. Starts with http bla bla, and ends with jpg bla bla. You can test your own link by trying it with your browser, but you should know what a valid link looks like.

The illustrated link by Blair is not a link. Starts with 'pasted" and doesn't have any of the www. bla bla stuff in it.

For example, the below picture link is:"http://aintstoppin.smugmug.com/Travel/A ... hsxw-L.jpg"

BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

Bob Ain't Stoppin' wrote:NB: The image link you past into the image insertion tool has to be an actual web link. Starts with http bla bla, and ends with jpg bla bla. You can test your own link by trying it with your browser, but you should know what a valid link looks like.

The illustrated link by Blair is not a link. Starts with 'pasted" and doesn't have any of the www. bla bla stuff in it.

For example, the below picture link is:"http://aintstoppin.smugmug.com/Travel/A ... hsxw-L.jpg"
Bob, if that's your bike, you should change your handle. Your picture clearly shows the motorcycle is stopped! Maybe it should be "Bob does stop every now and then" ;)

Nice photo BTW
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Well Steve, A quick story about the Alaska trip. Roy & I spent about 10k miles on the bikes for this ride. We passed every vehicle we say while in the great north country. Except this one Camaro that went by us. We passed him about a half hour later to keep our streak alive. The only stopping we did was for pictures, food, and camping. It was a great ride. I have about 800 pictures on my sumgmug if you want to follow that link and browse. Only threw away about 6 pics that didn't come out. Roy and I were a good match. Both like to keep moving :lol:
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

Believe me BoxerSteve, Bob earned that "Ain't Stoppin'" moniker. It is aptly put.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Bob, sorry I wasn't clear... the text I posted was just to show where I pasted the photo link... it wasn't the actual URL of the photo.

I did in fact copy / cut / paste the "direct link" from Picas into my browser and it presented the image, so I know the URL functions correctly.

I guess I'll get an account on one of the other sites... but before I do, I'll send Google (Picasa) and note.

Anyway, on to more meaningful bike discussions ...

Cheers
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

AncientMariner wrote:Believe me BoxerSteve, Bob earned that "Ain't Stoppin'" moniker. It is aptly put.

Bruce
I was just makin' a little joke.
Bob Ain't Stoppin' wrote:Well Steve, A quick story about the Alaska trip. Roy & I spent about 10k miles on the bikes for this ride. We passed every vehicle we say while in the great north country. Except this one Camaro that went by us. We passed him about a half hour later to keep our streak alive. The only stopping we did was for pictures, food, and camping. It was a great ride. I have about 800 pictures on my sumgmug if you want to follow that link and browse. Only threw away about 6 pics that didn't come out. Roy and I were a good match. Both like to keep moving :lol:
I checked out some of your photos Bob, very nice! What a trip that must have been! I'm jealous.

You would probably ride me into the ground, 1 hour on my R1200R just about kills me. Can't imagine 10,000 miles on it. Shoulda got a GS I guess.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Steve, The Alaska trip was on a 2005 1200GS. Perfect bike for that trip! Now with the R (an '08 model). It's just like a GS only lower and lighter.

Blair, If you're looking for a new hosting site, let me put in a plug for smugmug. It's owned by the guy that does ADVRider. The site works very well, but you do pay (I think $40 per year). There are no real limits on the number of photos or the amount of remote linking. Great service. Snapfish, on the other hand, is so slow that I don't bother to look at peoples photos on that site when they send me a link.

I'm a bit surprised that Picasa doesn't allow linking. Let us know if you resolve that with them. Check your privacy and profile settings too.
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

BINGO! I found out what the problem was ...

When using Picasa, when you select the embedded image link it wants to issue the page using Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure "https".

For those using Picasa, here's a post from the "help forum"
1) On the My Photos page, click your album.
2) Click the photo you'd like to embed.
3) Click Link to this Photo on the right sidebar.
4) Set the following preferences:
a) Select your preferred image size.
b) Select 'Image only (no link)' to get the image URL by itself, with no code linking back to Picasa Web Albums.
5) Copy the HTML (Ctrl-C) in the 'Embed image' field on the right-hand side.
6) Paste the HTML (Ctrl-V) in the source code for your site.

ONE MORE STEP - DELETE THE "S" FROM HTTPS "http://......."

Not a BMW, but a fun picture from track school :D
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Blair, ya done good.
Any more pics as good as the one from the track day?
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Any more pics as good as the one from the track day?
Nothing post worthy... a couple photo ops with Kevin Schwantz, that's about it...

Hope to have some quality photos of some BMW rides soon though ...
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
m7flyer
Basic User

Post by m7flyer »

[quote="BLAIR1200R"]BINGO! I found out what the problem was ...

When using Picasa, when you select the embedded image link it wants to issue the page using Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure "https".

For those using Picasa, here's a post from the "help forum"
1) On the My Photos page, click your album.
2) Click the photo you'd like to embed.
3) Click Link to this Photo on the right sidebar.
4) Set the following preferences:
a) Select your preferred image size.
b) Select 'Image only (no link)' to get the image URL by itself, with no code linking back to Picasa Web Albums.
5) Copy the HTML (Ctrl-C) in the 'Embed image' field on the right-hand side.
6) Paste the HTML (Ctrl-V) in the source code for your site.

ONE MORE STEP - DELETE THE "S" FROM HTTPS "http://......."

Thanks for posting this great info. Moments before banging my head on the keyboard I saw the Red line
and removed the S and it worked like a charm :)
'04 r1150 Rockster E80