Page 1 of 1

Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 pm
by howard2dot0
Hello, a total newbie here.
I found a 2004 R1150R with 23K miles for $5995 before fees and TT&L. I have never owned a BMW bike due to my preconceived notion, "Expensive European bikes are expensive to own and maintain." How reliable is R1150R compared to Hondas or Suzukis? Does it cost much money to do valve checks and other scheduled maintenance? Is it difficult to do most of maintenance for a not-so-mechanically inclined?
I am supposed to go sign paperworks tomorrow morning, but I am a little hesitant because of my unknowns.
Additionally, the dealer is charging $255 Prep charge. Is that normal for a used bike?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

Howard

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:53 pm
by Coyne67
Hey I am the proud owner of a R1150r 2001, just got it a month ago, like you avoided them becuase of the cost and not being mechanically minded myself was very wary o getting a bike of the age with 183k on it. However, the service history is a big thing, my one has not missed a beat in 10 years every scheduled service done and all by the BMW dealership, they may cost more to do but when looked after they run forever......quality all the way...... I am not sure about the charges in the states so I can't help there sorry :? ..... Just as an extra one of the guys on the site let me know that one of the writters for BMW and his wife have the R1150 with over 300k on them not many bikes out there can do this sort of milage and still be kicking

Best of luck

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:04 pm
by howard2dot0
Thanks for sharing your experience. The dealer showed me a little booklet and the previous owner had no records of any maintenance in it, which does nothing to minimize my anxiety.

Howard

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:10 pm
by Willfreely
Welcome and where are you from? Like any machine regardless of origin, your mechanical aptitude will dictate a lot of your maintenance costs. The airhead BMWs I have owned before my current '04 R1150R gave me good training in basics like valves, brakes, and such. And my mechanical experience before that was pretty much shade tree. As with anything, simple things you can do yourself and save a lot of money. This board is a wealth of all things R1150, as well as other types of motorcycles and other topics of interest.
As to a dealer fee, it is common in the auto and cycle industry, some charge less, some more. Always negotiate complete "out the door" prices inclusive of selling price, dealer & municipality fees, sales tax and total licensing costs. The dealers justify documentation fees (as they are often called) to cover the expense of titling and tax collection, so let them do it all. They can generally issue temporary or permanent tags on the spot.

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:32 pm
by Xdot
Bikes are like cars. Sometimes they go wrong. When they do, they will have to be fixed. I'm very pleased with my '02 RR which I bought a year ago with 21K miles on it. So far all I've done is change oil. By far my largest expense has been accessories because I enjoy riding so much. Get a good helmet, some good riding gear, and make sure you're ready before hitting the street. Any repair cost is negligible compared to medical costs. And like you've heard already, you are as mechanically inclined as what you're willing to try. Welcome to the fun.

John

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 pm
by jfslater98
howard2dot0 wrote:Thanks for sharing your experience. The dealer showed me a little booklet and the previous owner had no records of any maintenance in it, which does nothing to minimize my anxiety.

Howard
I'd walk away from this particular R. If the little empty booklet is the only record of maintenance, then you are buying into the unknown. Better to wait for a nicer example to to show up with some promise of maintenance

Here's one
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ght=r1150r

and another
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ght=r1150r

Basic maintenance is eeeeaaaaasyyyy. My R was the first bike I ever worked on, and this board saved me probably thousands over the years in maintenance. These are great bikes, very stout, and lots of fun to ride. Good luck!

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:27 pm
by towerworker
I have to agree with Mr Slater on this one. With no assurance that recommended service has been performed then you have much to do. If said dealer will "bring it up to code" so to speak then that's another story.

Servicing these bikes is very easy. With moderate skills and a willingness to jump in and the knowledge on this board---piece of cake.

Wayne

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:35 pm
by jfslater98
Wayne, are you still selling your bike? If so, you should let the young chap here know about that. Wayne's a good guy and keeps his stuff in tip top shape. Lots of others here will vouch for him as well.

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm
by howard2dot0
Thanks all for such insightful input. If I were to ask the dealer to "bring in up to code", what kind of service should I ask for a bike with 23,000 miles on it?

Howard

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:49 am
by Buckster
Have them do the 24K service and inspection. It's about $550.00 at a dealership.

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:56 am
by Hottech
You did not mention if it is ABS? If it is that seems to be a pretty good deal but if it isn't I would pass. I agree that you should be able to have the dealership do a 24K service on it prior to ownership. That would intail all fluids changed and a valve adjustment. The dealership could than verify the condition of the bike giving you piece of mind that the bike is safe and sound. You could easily maintain it yourself after that.

Re: Should I pull the trigger?

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:22 am
by howard2dot0
It does have ABS. I will ask for 24K service since the dealer is charging $255 for prep fee anyway. If he refuses, then I will walk away from the deal. Thanks everyone for letting me process. See, the Hive minds can be much more effective :)