Page 1 of 1
Best LOW-TECH & basic Intercom ? just rider to passenger...
Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:43 pm
by thepeacebullgrunt
Hi !
Happy Friday to all !
I am wondering if there is on the market some very simple & affordable communication system that works great...not even Bluetooth ! working with just a small detachable cable...like low tech design but working very well...and not something that is permanently attach to the helmet. A light system that the rider can install and activate quickly when he is with a passenger.
A friend of mine told me that he usually have the nicest conversation with his loved one on his motorcycle while riding using a Bluetooth Cardo system.
So !

Now ! I really want the same and among other stuff I am fantasizing full throttles with that recently...
Both of my helmets are Schubert open hybrids the C1 & C3 and don't know why but I am sort of reluctant to invest in Cardo...
I just need to talk with my passengers while riding that's all... nothing more complex...no phone calls, no radio etc etc...just talk....humm humm then we will improvise I am sure.
For example--> Is there anything sort of integrated in a set of balaclava's ?
Update 05/30/10
But still something a little more
advanced than picture posted below
Courtesy to John...
Re: Best Low-Tech 1 to 1 communication system ?
Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:59 pm
by Don C
Re: Best Low-Tech basic driver/passenger Intercom ?
Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:28 pm
by thepeacebullgrunt
Yes Don !
Something like this -->
http://www.amazon.com/Nady-PMC-2X-Drive ... 605&sr=8-1 sort of ultra simple...that I could eventually think to sew on a pair of balaclava's
But well I have no clue regarding the sound quality, battery longevity or bulkiness of the whole system...
Re: Best LOW-TECH & basic Intercom ? just rider to passenger...
Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:57 am
by xprof
Frederic, I have used the Nady, or a previous generation of it, and it is pretty crappy, maybe 2 stars out of 5. But it worked, and was cheap. You might give it a try, but don't set your expectations too high. If you do try it, report back.
Re: Best LOW-TECH & basic Intercom ? just rider to passenger...
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 10:56 am
by Meatloaf
How low tech are you looking for?
I use the Cardo Scala Rider...
John
Re: Best LOW-TECH & basic Intercom ? just rider to passenger...
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:06 pm
by thepeacebullgrunt
At Mike: Yeah that's what I am scare of concerning the Nady....but in which way if was pretty crappy ? bad sound ? Battery life ? Poor connector ?
That's funny John and thanks because you found the exact visual that I was looking for on google image for at least 20mns to illustrate my first post to this thread.... so as you can see now I am using it
Thank you !
Well ! I am thinking of getting a Cardo system anyway at some point but its just that I am not really willing to listen radio, phone and things like that for which I'll pay to get the device. In addition to that their system is poping out from the helmet which I am afraid can be a problem when storing in my luggage...and both of my helmets are Shuberth's flip-up I wonder if Cardo is that convenient with those type of helmets ... I ride with passengers maybe %5 of my riding time so is it enough for me to invest in a permanently intalled Cardo system ?
Hummm
You see....
I don't know there is just a few things that invited me
to ask around for a good low tech alternative.
Re: Best LOW-TECH & basic Intercom ? just rider to passenger...
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 pm
by Mollygrubber
FredeR1200Ric wrote:At Mike: Yeah that's what I am scare of concerning the Nady....but in which way if was pretty crappy ? bad sound ? Battery life ? Poor connector ?
That's funny John and thanks because you found the exact visual that I was looking for on google image for at least 20mns to illustrate my first post to this thread.... so as you can see now I am using it
Thank you !
Well ! I am thinking of getting a Cardo system anyway at some point but its just that I am not really willing to listen radio, phone and things like that for which I'll pay to get the device. In addition to that their system is poping out from the helmet which I am afraid can be a problem when storing in my luggage...and both of my helmets are Shuberth's flip-up I wonder if Cardo is that convenient with those type of helmets ... I ride with passengers maybe %5 of my riding time so is it enough for me to invest in a permanently intalled Cardo system ?
Hummm
You see....
I don't know there is just a few things that invited me
to ask around for a good low tech alternative.
Frederic... I have the Cardo Scala's and I think they are great - I use mine pretty much exclusively to talk with my wife, but the odd phone call I get is usually important (my daughter). Nice to have that bluetooth feature available, but you don't have to use it. The sound quality is really very good, the active noise cancellation works surprisingly well.
Make sure, however, that you can fit them to a Schuberth flip face helmet - I can't use them with the System 6 BMW helmets (Schuberth) as the drop down sun shield switch is in the way. And they do stick out a bit, but only about an inch (2.54cm

). Not as bad as most others I think.
Peter
Re: Best LOW-TECH & basic Intercom ? just rider to passenger...
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:31 pm
by mcdader
I purchase the Midland BT2 system about 2 months ago. It works really well. Battery life it good too. send me a message if you want to know more