Page 1 of 2
R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:49 am
by papasong
Hi All,
I need an outdoor and an indoor motorcycle cover for my R1200R.
Any suggestions?
I know that Wunderlich sells an outdoor cover for about $80, and in indoor one for something like $140!!!
Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Jeff
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:59 am
by Mollygrubber
Don's got one (forget the brand name) which he really likes; stays attached to the bike. Do a search and you should locate the thread.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 pm
by papasong
...a search for "cover" pulls up way too much other stuff.
I'd love a recommendation on brand, as well as what size to get.
Thanks,
Jeff
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 pm
by Mollygrubber
Here's the thread. Check out Don's first post (Kwikover).
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17648&hilit=cover
http://www.kwikover.com/
Peter
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:58 pm
by Northernbiker
I just replaced the cover for my bike on Saturday. I got a Guardian Weatherall size XL. My old one was the same make but only a Large so it didn't cover the wheels completely. The XL covers them all the way down to the ground. It cost $160 but I think it's worth it for a outdoor grade cover. The old one lasted 4 years.
Chris
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:37 pm
by deilenberger
One comment on the Kwikover.. with semi-daily use (I ride all year, although less in the winter for a few months) Kwikovers seem to last me about 18 months or so. I'm near ordering a new one right now.. The fabric and straps eventually loose their elasticity, and the fabric becomes more porous. Still serves the purpose of keeping bird poop off, and hiding things from prying eyes, but it just doesn't look as good, so.. I figure about $4/month isn't too much to pay for this.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:49 pm
by papasong
The Kwikcover looks cool and is very clever, but I need something that covers more of the bike.
I think the Guardian Weatherall might be the ticket.
Thanks, guys.
Jeff
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:06 pm
by Mark
Without wanting to state the obvious - why not use the BMW Cover.
I got one of these with my R12R when I took delivery and it is great. Covers the shape of the bike perfectly (once I realised it was designed to fit with the bars in the locked position) and it reaches down to the floor level all around. Has handy ties and a clear panel to allow you to see the rear number plate (not certain why).
Anyway, it is tough and fits well. I do through a sheet over the front to prevent fine scratches on the paintwork and screen.
I think it was about AU$200.00
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:31 am
by papasong
Mark wrote:Without wanting to state the obvious - why not use the BMW Cover.
I got one of these with my R12R when I took delivery and it is great. Covers the shape of the bike perfectly (once I realised it was designed to fit with the bars in the locked position) and it reaches down to the floor level all around. Has handy ties and a clear panel to allow you to see the rear number plate (not certain why).
Anyway, it is tough and fits well. I do through a sheet over the front to prevent fine scratches on the paintwork and screen.
I think it was about AU$200.00
Yeah, good points! Thanks.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 pm
by spoonyfork
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:13 am
by Tom Barnhart
Check out the EZ Touring Covers. A variety of styles available. Nice folks to deal with. Have had a number of their covers in the past. The last one finally gave out after 5 years. I replaced it with a new one at the MOA Rally.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:34 am
by papasong
Anyone know which BMW cover (part number) fits the R1200R?
I have a catalog that lists the appropriate covers for most BMW bikes, but the R1200R is not listed among them.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:02 am
by celticus
Tom Barnhart wrote:Check out the EZ Touring Covers. A variety of styles available. Nice folks to deal with. Have had a number of their covers in the past. The last one finally gave out after 5 years. I replaced it with a new one at the MOA Rally.
I have an EZ touring cover that I would take to rallies. What I mainly found was that in the presence of any moisture (rain or heavy dew ) I ended up with so much condensation under the cover that my bike was completley soaked and having the cover on kept it from drying off in the sun.
I no longer take it with me.
Mark
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:43 pm
by lewellen
papasong wrote:Hi All,
I need an outdoor and an indoor motorcycle cover for my R1200R.
Any suggestions?
I know that Wunderlich sells an outdoor cover for about $80, and in indoor one for something like $140!!!
Any recommendations?
Thanks,
Jeff
Hi, Jeff,
I got a Geza Gear cover:
http://www.gezagear.com/pricefabric.htm
It's pretty good if what you want is to keep off the sun, dust, bird-bombs, and so forth; and rain tends to roll off. But it's not gonna hide the fact you have a BMW.
Good roads,
- Lewellen180
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 am
by AllanCook
I use a Dowco Weatherall with a zipper. Touring size. Fits nicely over my bike with the cases on and is easy to get on and off with the zipper.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:39 pm
by snag
Jeff,
BMW R1200R indoor dust cover, pn 99990005519, was $100 cdn when I bought it with the bike. Accommodates the side cases and top box and touring windshield. Goes right to the floor.
Doug
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:50 pm
by papasong
snag wrote:Jeff,
BMW R1200R indoor dust cover, pn 99990005519, was $100 cdn when I bought it with the bike. Accommodates the side cases and top box and touring windshield. Goes right to the floor.
Doug
Thanks, Doug.
Just ordered from Chicago BMW. $79 (US) delivered.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:42 pm
by mogu83
Check Walmart (yes Walmart) they sell a motorcycle cover that fits the R (with a windshield and BMW bags) like a glove. It's the large cover and sells for $19.95. It packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread.
Link:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... &Find.y=12
Looks like their $26 now, I found mine on a shelf in the auto section.
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:23 am
by papasong
mogu83 wrote:Check Walmart (yes Walmart) they sell a motorcycle cover that fits the R (with a windshield and BMW bags) like a glove. It's the large cover and sells for $19.95. It packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread.
Link:
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... &Find.y=12
Looks like their $26 now, I found mine on a shelf in the auto section.
Thanks, mogu83!
Is it the ADCO one?
Do you know if it's made so that you can put it on a hot bike?
Re: R1200R Cover
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:59 am
by mogu83
It's blue and silver , could be the ADCU one. Never really put it on when the bike was really hot, but looks like it would be Ok. Was just in Walmart and they had a bunch of them in the Auto section, price was $19 and change.