Page 1 of 1

Clutch problem

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:13 am
by Meatloaf
I'm on the way to California, in Colorado at the moment. Yesterday was cold and wet - 41 and raining mostly with the last 20 miles being 27 and snowing. I noticed my clutch being reluctant to disengage. Is this a cold weather issue or do I have deeper problems? The bike just came out of it's 6,000 service.

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:31 am
by Mollygrubber
That doesn't sound like a 'typical' issue to me. People have ridden these bikes through way colder temps than that.

I'd get it looked at. :cry:

Peter

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:08 pm
by papasong
related question...

How often have people had to top off the oil in the clutch reservoir?
If that is low or empty, would you see this kind of issue?

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:32 pm
by deilenberger
papasong wrote:related question...

How often have people had to top off the oil in the clutch reservoir?
If that is low or empty, would you see this kind of issue?
Never. The oil shouldn't be "consumed" - if you're topping off the oil you have a leak.

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:01 pm
by crazyhorse
deilenberger wrote:
papasong wrote:related question...

How often have people had to top off the oil in the clutch reservoir?
If that is low or empty, would you see this kind of issue?
Never. The oil shouldn't be "consumed" - if you're topping off the oil you have a leak.
i thought that was hydraulic fluid - ie a closed system.

wes

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:58 am
by Meatloaf
It's a closed system. Thanks for the replies guys. I stopped at Grand Junction Harley-Davidson who is also the local BMW dealership - very wild. My problem turned out to be a bubble in the line. No idea how it got there, but the tech bled the line, topped it up, tightened the connections and that cured it. There doesn't appear to be any leaks, but I've got my eye on it.

Riding up the the dealership was a strange experience. I thought for sure the GPS had lied to me. I rode up and there were several guys with Harley logoed shirts out front. I asked them, "Do you guys work on BMWs?". "Sure, showroom is right through there".

The dealership is your typical Harley place, large showroom, lots of Harley branded merchandise (you have to admire their marketing department). Through a door off to one side in a little bitty room, there was a selection of BMWs and one sales guy (also wearing a Harley shirt), looking quite confused trying to answer a customer question about an F800ST ;-)

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am
by Meatloaf
Oh, and if anyone is curious, it was 27.5 F at the summit of Vail Pass in Colorado yesterday at about 8am when I passed through... and 89 F at 6pm in St George, UT where I stopped for the night.

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 am
by Lost Rider
Meatloaf wrote:Oh, and if anyone is curious, it was 27.5 F at the summit of Vail Pass in Colorado yesterday at about 8am when I passed through... and 89 F at 6pm in St George, UT where I stopped for the night.

Thanks for that info, I'll be going through there in a few days...
Glad you had a good experience at Grand Junction BMW.... mine was not so good and I've shunned them for life.

Re: Clutch problem

Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm
by Meatloaf
ChiTown wrote:
Meatloaf wrote: Glad you had a good experience at Grand Junction BMW.... mine was not so good and I've shunned them for life.
I can't complain at all about my experience. They got me right in, fixed me up and even put the repair through as a warranty item.

John