Page 1 of 1
Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:48 am
by AncientMariner
There are lots of posts about lowered suspension on the R1200R. But there don't seem to be many riding impressions regarding the lowered bikes..
If you have an R1200R with the factory lowered susupension, please provide your thoughts and riding impressions. For example, is the ride particularly harsh? How about going over dirt roads, pot holes, etc? Do you find yourself wishing you had streched for the standard suspension?
I'm 5' 8", 198 lbs with a 29" inseam. I am finding it increasingly difficult to horse my K75 around, which makes this whole R1200R with lowered suspension a particularly attractive choice. That and all the glowing reports from all the folks who already have an R1200R.
I already have my list of options made out. Just need to decide on the suspension choice...
By the way, thanks to all of the folks who gave me their opinions about moving from a K75 to the R1200R.
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:33 pm
by Mollygrubber
I have an '09 with the lowered suspension, and it is harsh on sharp-edged bumps (even at low speeds) and dirt roads.
This is probably due to the not-so-grand stock shocks, although as I have never ridden one with aftermarket, I have no basis for comparison.
To be truthful, it's only noticeable once in awhile, and the other 95% of the time I am happy.
For the most part, it just works. Very stable, precise and confidence inspiring.
I think if I were to re-buy the bike now, I'd likely go with the stock height, as I am more comfortable today (5000 miles later) than I was on a brand new bike after a 10 year absence from riding. But if you really need the low ride, I think it works fine.
Peter
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:17 pm
by deilenberger
AncientMariner wrote:There are lots of posts about lowered suspension on the R1200R. But there don't seem to be many riding impressions regarding the lowered bikes..
If you have an R1200R with the factory lowered susupension, please provide your thoughts and riding impressions. For example, is the ride particularly harsh? How about going over dirt roads, pot holes, etc? Do you find yourself wishing you had streched for the standard suspension?
I'm 5' 8", 198 lbs with a 29" inseam. I am finding it increasingly difficult to horse my K75 around, which makes this whole R1200R with lowered suspension a particularly attractive choice. That and all the glowing reports from all the folks who already have an R1200R.
Given you have 2" more inseam than I do - the low seat with the standard suspension might work fine for you. It actually worked pretty OK for me until I got my lower suspension. And the low seat is generally considered to be the most comfortable of the stock seats.
The caveat on the factory lowered suspension is - you loose the amount it's lowered in the travel of the suspension. I suspect it may also use a slightly higher rate spring to keep the suspension from bottoming out (but I can't say this for sure.. it would seem the logical thing to do.) Klaus of HyperPro - engineered a lowered suspension for the R1200R that keeps the original suspension travel. AFAIK - it's the only one that does (I know the Wilbers doesn't, and dunno if Ohlins offers a lowered suspension for the R12R.)
Downside - it's costly.
Upside - much better ride quality and control and it's all rebuildable. And if you keep the originals - when you sell the bike you can typically recover 1/2 the cost of the upgraded suspension.
Dunno what to say - no clear answer here.. I'd say buy what puts a smile on your face. Our local dealer has a pair of white R12R's - one normal height, one lowered - side by side. The difference in height is noticeable sitting on them and swinging them up from the sidestand.
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:39 pm
by Mollygrubber
While we're on the subject, Don do you know if the factory lowered suspension is entirely the work of shorter shocks, or are there other changes made (spacers, magical toadstool rings, you know what I'm talking about here)? I ask because when the time comes to replace mine (definitely aftermarket), I'm going to look into getting back to stock height. I don't want to bolt on some lovely new merchandise and then hit a big bump and have it destroy shiny things due to incorrect geometry or lack of clearance. Looking at it, it seems 'that simple'. Thoughts?
Peter
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 pm
by deilenberger
As far as I could tell by looking at it in the dealers showroom (they won't let me take it apart) - it's strictly shorter shocks. The shocks are even marked as "LOW".. everything else looked the same. Dunno on the sidestand/centerstand. The shorter one was sitting slightly more upright than the standard one (on sidestands), and I didn't get to try the centerstand. I could if someone wanted me to next time I'm there.
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:08 pm
by Mollygrubber
Well as to the centrestand issue, with my bike I really have to weight the foot peg to get the damn thing up there... and I don't have much weight to ... uh... weight it with.
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:01 pm
by Meatloaf
I've got the factory lowered suspension. Yes, it was a bit harsh at first until I fiddled with the adjustment. It's set for the "ideal" BMW rider who weighs 180 pounds... I weigh about 40 more than that (round dwarfish like Don). Once I set the adjustment to something more realistic, it's fine on dirt roads and pot holes. My inseam is 28 inches on a good day.
The center stand is a bit tough to pop the bike up on, but I manage it without straining anything important. I figure by the time I grind off a few more ounces of center stand on the twisties, it will be less of an issue

Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:01 pm
by marykayejn
I have the 09 lowered R12 and love it. After riding a lowered harley big twin, and a lowered kawasaki councours, this bike is a huge relief. I've put around 5K miles on and don't notice a rough ride (but then, I'm used to lowered suspension). Cornering is awesome and I only scrape pegs when I'm being very agressive. I'm 5'2" with a 28" inseam and am finally happy with what I ride. I also don't weigh as much as some, so that probably makes it better for me, too.
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:34 pm
by crewzzn88
I am 5 feet 5 inches with a 28 1/2 inseam ( using the Aerostich method ) I have the stock suspension on my 2008 R12R with the LOW SEAT. I have NO problems. I could put both 1/3 on my shoes down at a stop. I always wear boots with average sole height. I LOVE the ride. I think alot has to do with experience and saddle time.
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 pm
by Motorcycle_Girl
crewzzn88 wrote:I am 5 feet 5 inches with a 28 1/2 inseam ( using the Aerostich method ) I have the stock suspension on my 2008 R12R with the LOW SEAT. I have NO problems. I could put both 1/3 on my shoes down at a stop. I always wear boots with average sole height. I LOVE the ride. I think alot has to do with experience and saddle time.
What size are your feet? I have the 2009 with the standard suspension and basically the same inseam but I can get the ball of my foot down with one foot and just the very tips of my toes with two...when my saddle bags are loaded for a trip I can touch the ground much better...
Celeste
Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 pm
by AncientMariner
Thanks for your recommendations about the factory lowered suspension.
I finally managed to get a test ride on an R1200R with the factory lowered suspension. I did find the ride to be just a little bit "firm". However, more importantly, I felt that I could easily handle the bike if it were 3/4" taller so I decided to go with the standard suspension. At any rate, it has to be easier to horse around than my K75 has been. (Of course it will be no where near as smooth and slow as the K.)
If I'm wrong, I'll be checking back to review what Don did to lower his bike.
In the meantime, as I posted elsewhere, my bike is on order to be built this fall during week 47, around Thanksgiving time. Biarritz Blue. From the pictures I've seen in the photo gallery thread, esp. July, my new bike will be absolutely georgeous.

Re: Lowered Suspension - How do you like it?
Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:19 pm
by crewzzn88
Celeste,
Sorry for the late responds. Been away. My shoes size is 8 USA. I always wear 6" boots with average sole height. I did mention that my R12 has the low seat too. My weight is 139 - 141 lbs. No luggage yet.