Page 1 of 1

R1150 Engine noise

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:24 am
by homerr1150r
Hi, I am new to this but wanted to ask a question. I have just bought a 2003 Silver R1150R 9000 miles on the clock. The bike rides like a dream but I am a little concerned about the left hand head, I think thats what you call it, the bit that sticks out with the oil filler cap in it? Once the engine is warm it rattles a little, it sounds like the tappets on an old car, but only when throttling down and changing down, when throttling up and changing up I get no noise. Also when starting from cold I get a slight knocking sound from the same place for a split second?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: R1150 Engine noise

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:48 am
by The Velvet Monkey
The sound that you are probably hearing is the cam chain. This rattling is a common complaint that was to some degree remedied when BMW redesigned the Boxers cam chain tensioner, which can be purchased and installed on your bike without too much effort. If you search this board you'll find step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

The sound you hear at startup is normal. You've got to get used to a lot of interesting sounds when you own an R, but that's what makes them unique.

Good luck!

Re: R1150 Engine noise

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:54 pm
by homerr1150r
Thanks for the advice, I will have a look round for the instructions and see if it is within my capabilities.

Re: R1150 Engine noise

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:14 pm
by Boxer
I will have a look round for the instructions and see if it is within my capabilities.
It is....Unless you only have one arm, then it may take you a little longer.

Re: R1150 Engine noise

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 pm
by Byrdguy
The throttle bodies tend to clatter away, also. Just the nature of the beast. I naver had a bike that didn't make some kind of noise I didn't like, but I got used to it, and none of them ever broke.