Page 1 of 1

Defarkleization (TM)

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm
by qgaex
Hi all

I just want to claim the trademark on this wonderful word.
Since I took my touring screen off.
It is fun to ride without - well nearly without - any farkle.
Feels good in summer.
But no fear.
I'll refarkle (TM) as soon as Right Hand Drive's leftover screen arrives.

Cheers

qgaex
*temporarily defarkled*

P.S. Don! You forgot to trademark "farklebrowsing"!

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:01 pm
by Skippy
I had the sportscreen and also removed it and love the lack of turbulance and the cool air on the warm days. In winter though I bet it's a bit warmer to put the screen back on. So I would say for now defarklin rules 8) .

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:13 pm
by r12r-don
Interesting. I think I'll try removing my sport screen fo rmy next ride and see how I like it.

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:31 pm
by celticus
I took my big Givi screen off and replaced it with the sport screen. Should I take the little one off too? I'm not going too far. Very little high speed slab mostly very tight twisties.
Mark

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:09 am
by ka5ysy
Actually the R12 is great with the sport screen off. I found rather quickly that the sport screen is slightly too tall for me... it puts the wind blast on the chin bar of my helmet, with lots of turbulence.

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:48 am
by celticus
I'll go take it off right now.
Mark

defarkleization

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:11 am
by Right Hand Drive
qgaex

Screen should be with you any day now. I tried without a screen for a few days and loved it up until 70 mph that is then the wind blast got to me. I definitely wouldn't defarkle my rear hugger. A definite must have with the 1200R imho.

Rich

Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:19 pm
by Skippy
I regularly do 150km/h for almost an hour at a time on the highway over here and I still think it's pretty comfy without the screen(do wear earplugs). I do like a bit of windblast though but still it's pretty good for a naked bike.

Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:40 pm
by JWayne
I have the 18 inch Cee Baileys, I may use it this winter, the sport screen is much better. Also less noise than than the larger screen. On my F650 I tried a number of screens and finally went back to the stock screen with the laminar Lip. In the world of windshields bigger is not better.

Wayne

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:21 am
by mcavotta
FWIW, I found that removing the sport screen created a noticeable difference in wind pressure at speeds of 60mph+. Much more than I expected from such a small screen. I much prefer the look of running without it, but I have to say I find myself spending more energy riding without it. Anyone else have the same experience?

BTW, this is the first naked bike I've owned that I've run with a screen of any kind (`94 CB1000, `97 Speed Triple). Maybe I'm just getting old :-(