Front Brake Pads

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Dgdecker
Donating Member #: 1

Front Brake Pads

Post by Dgdecker »

New to me 2004 R1150R owner looking for advice regarding front brake pads. Bike has 26,500 miles on and front pads look “thin” to me. I can still see the wear indicator mark but can’t find a minimum thickness spec for this bike. What do y’all recommend for minimum thickness?
Second question, priced OEM pads and choked when I heard the price. Dealer parts guy suggested EBC as an excellent pad for reasonable $$. What brand/model/type pads do y’all suggest?
Thanks, Dave
mdbenson
Basic User

Re: Front Brake Pads

Post by mdbenson »

Right on the EBC pads. I have used these for years and no problems.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Personally, I prefer the OE BMW pads, they're thicker than the EBCs and I find they last longer, but then I do strange things with brakes on my bike ...... ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
UberZogster
Basic User

Post by UberZogster »

I like EBC and Galfer both. Pad compound is probably more of the question and really depends on how hard you ride. Galfer offers semi metallic which would be a good oem all around pad or the HH Sintered for a more performance oriented pad. In EBC you would be looking at the organic pads for OEM replacement and Double-H Sintered for spirited/performance pads.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Does your '04 have ABS? If so regardless of which pad you choose remember that your front and rear brakes are linked when you pull the front lever. You don't need to use the rear brake pedal at all unless you only need rear braking. I didn't realize this on my first ABS BMW until I went thru two sets of rear pads and a rear rotor in 30K.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Dgdecker

Post by Dgdecker »

Bike does not have ABS so that’s not at issue.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Dgdecker wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:00 pm New to me 2004 R1150R owner looking for advice regarding front brake pads. Bike has 26,500 miles on and front pads look “thin” to me. I can still see the wear indicator mark but can’t find a minimum thickness spec for this bike. What do y’all recommend for minimum thickness?
Thanks, Dave
If the indicator mark is a 'channel' cut in the friction surface, then as long as you can see it, you're above minimum thickness.

If it's a channel cut in the BACK of the friction material (ie a hole between the friction material and the backplate), then once the friction material has worn away and you can see the channel, then it's time to change them.

Basically - you're ok until the friction material has worn through.... ;)

Having said that, you'll get better braking from fresh pads either way: if in doubt, change 'em. :)

Oh - and also check your discs, new discs make a HUGE difference and (ime) these bikes seem to be prone to over-reduced braking efficiency due to thin discs, more so than other bikes for some reason I am yet to fathom.

MAKE SURE you get discs that are the correct thickness - some aftermarket discs are a little thin and so there's little point in buying them (ime).
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

The Galfer rotors and pads work well, much better than OEM stuff.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
AZBMWRIDER
Basic User

Post by AZBMWRIDER »

I put EBC HH pads front and rear and a great improvement in braking .
Looks like they will need replacement in the next 5,000 miles, for a life of 40,000 miles, so a bit less than OEM pads .
They also cost a lot less than OEM parts .
'02 R1150R, Atlanta Blue
Been riding since 1979, BMW's since 1981 .
4 R65's, '87 Guzzi V65 Lario .