LED Bulbs - Update

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

LED Bulbs - Update

Post by gregor »

Headlight, number plate light and front parking light have been successfully converted. Tried led bulbs in the indicators, hyper flashing, stop tail light, flickering. Passed those on or returned them. A new batch came with the wrong pin pattern, not as advertised. 1157-150° instead of 1157,replaced. It's turning into a lock down hobby.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
gregor
Lifer

Re: LED Bulbs - Update

Post by gregor »

Thought I'd cracked it with the Stop/Tail worked fine visibly.
But after a few yards on the road a brake warning light came on. I've got ABS. Replaced the filament bulb and had a great ride out into rural Derbyshire.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Sounds good.

Do you still have links to the bulbs that worked?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

After going round and round with different bulbs, reading disparaging reviews of Kisan etc. this wonderful forum lead me to this mod for my OEM flasher. Simply fantastic.

https://youtu.be/REYFATNRy5Q

Not sure if this applies to your model flasher
Last edited by Tundra Dweller on Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
Mrclubike
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mrclubike »

Tundra Dweller wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 am After going round and round with different bulbs, reading disparaging reviews of Kisangani etc. this wonderful forum lead me to this mod for my OEM flasher. Simply fantastic
Are you talking about the Kisan SM-5
I have one and it has been working fine
Just wondering what you have read that is bad about it
I know if you do not ride often it will drain your battery. But there is a work around for that.
I got mine for the self cancelling feature
I would leave my turn signals on all the time if I didn't have it :oops:
82 R65
04 R1150R
Tundra Dweller
Basic User

Post by Tundra Dweller »

Mrclubike wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:16 pm
Tundra Dweller wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 am After going round and round with different bulbs, reading disparaging reviews of Kisangani etc. this wonderful forum lead me to this mod for my OEM flasher. Simply fantastic
Are you talking about the Kisan SM-5
I have one and it has been working fine
Just wondering what you have read that is bad about it
I know if you do not ride often it will drain your battery. But there is a work around for that.
I got mine for the self cancelling feature
I would leave my turn signals on all the time if I didn't have it :oops:
Not to trash the SM-5. I was going to buy one until I read about failures, battery drain and running hot. I would assume the work around would cut the current to it and would solve the parasitic drain and heat issue. That aside, I enjoy the DIY fixes forum members come up with.
1974 Kawi H-1 500
1975 Norton 850
2002 BMW R1150R
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
2013 BMW GS 650 Sertao
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I give up. Bought some that claimed to be OK. Flickering. 🐼🤔🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

I should have learned by now, check this forum first and save yourself some time and heartache.

The Hella bar end indicators from the likes of the R69s have always caught my eye. I wanted to have something that had the looks but still met the Australian design rules (and wouldn’t cause problems at rego time). The brief was to look right , look factory, use the standard mounting points and look factory and for bonus points use LEDs.

Making up the stainless mountings and fabricating the replacements for the incandescent globes turned out to the the easy bit. Getting the LEDs to work was not going to be a problem, I already had a Kisan flasher….how very naive.

Bar end mirrors are earthed to the frame. Out of curiosity I wondered if that would work. Zappppppp! My Kisan flasher was now a fused piece of slag and the indicators would light once and stop. The issue was obviously ballast to I bought ballast resistors but they can run very hot so I made customs stainless mounts (as an aside I got too clever by half and thought I would also install small side firing indicators for safety.

Everything re-wired and mounted and they work…sort of. The flash was too fast and wouldn’t pass registration.

The temptation to set the whole thing on fire and dance around the burning remnants cackling like an escapee for an asylum for the criminally insane called to me but I resisted. It may be obvious but I dislike auto electrical work

I saw your your posting about LED indicators and read it more closely. 15 mins modifying the BMW relay and it all works correctly. If I added up the time to find the ballast, make the mounts and fiddle around with the wiring changes I might get annoyed, so I have chosen not to.

Note to self check here first.
"Better to live rich than die rich."