Page 2 of 2
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:59 am
by R4R&R
I tried the Schuberth and my head doesn't fit right.
OK, I'm in for trying the Z1R - who sells them in the DC area? I looked at Coleman Powersports and no luck.
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:35 am
by Kevin Markwell
John,
I got my Striker Blade from this Kneeslider site. It came in a few days. I have since seen them on the internet for the same price but with free shipping. Sorry but I can't recall or locate that site right now. Good luck.
http://thekneeslider.com/motorcycle-hel ... elmets.php
Kevin
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:43 am
by riceburner
Kevin Markwell wrote:I suspect this topic has been covered here in the not too distant past regarding the relative merits of the DOT/Snell ratings controversy as evaluated by Motorcyclist magazine, so I will leave it to interested members to check out the full story. I have to admit that as someone with a Mechanical/Biomedical Engineering degree I was fairly impressed with their analysis and logic -- enough so that I am now the proud owner of an $89.00 Z1R helmet. I like it very much.
I have the round (fat) head shape, so old Arais never fit me well, but I understand they have "expanded" there range of sizes to accomodate most any head now. I have owned Shoei RF900s (great all around helmet - survived a low speed get off that plunked the side directly on the concrete without so much as a daze, and Suomy Spec1z - very nice and light, but very noisy. I think Arai has done a wonderful marketing job and achieved their desired result by correlating the value of your noggin with their helmets, but I think they are taking advantage of our natural drive for self preservation. From the results of the tests though, it is apparant that there is not much necessary stuff going into their helmets worth an extra $400 and possibly what is going into them is too much of the wrong stuff. I could afford those pricier helmets if I really thought they were superior, but I am convinced they are not. Just food for thought.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html
What's the praisee for that article? (synopsis)
are they basically saying that the standard (whatever it is) is sufficient and that a more expensive helmet is overkill??
I'd rather wear a helmet that I've
seen support the flat-deck on a vehicle recovery truck without collapsing.

(well - obviously not that PARTICULAR one - but one from the same maker...

)
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:57 am
by Kevin Markwell
Riceburner,
I don't have enough time to explain all of the physics and physiology right now, but you have fallen for the fallacy that a harder helmet is a better helmet. The best helmet would be a marshmallow that doesn't compress too far or come apart on contact. The worst helmet would be cast iron or similar uncompressible shell that allows your head to take the full blow and rattle around inside a few times before the jello of your brain comes to a stop. The Snell standard favors a hard helmet that can withstand two forceful blows of forces well above what would be expected in a typical, survivable street crash. This means that at lower impacts (in the range of what happens most often) the brain takes a harder shot than what a more compressible helmet would cause. At the extreme speeds and severe impacts at which the softer DOT helmets might break down, most people would die from associated injuries to neck, spine and internal injuries. So if the idea is to both survive the crash and stay stay out of the vegetable farm, the softer helmets make more sense.
Kevin
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:04 am
by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
....so you don't work in the Diplomatic service then, Kevin.....
Ride safely'
Rog
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 am
by Kevin Markwell
I was afraid of that.

Shows what can happen when rushed and trying to get to the point. It's amazing to me how written answers can color the tone unintentionally. The irony is that people who know me say I'm too long winded in an attempt to be courteous. This is a consequence of checking in here while at work. I don't even have the time to apologize appropriately for my abrupt remarks. I just have to ask that everyone believe me that I was just trying to summarize the very long article as succinctly as possible.
Kevin
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:25 pm
by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Kevin. It's good that you replied as you did and I hope you were not offended by my remarks.
Best wishes and safe riding
Rog.
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:37 pm
by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Sorry, I also meant to say that I totally agree with you. The ideal form of protection is one decelerates (following a parabolic line) the skull towards a hard object.
Rog
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:01 pm
by Panzerleder
OK John, here's the link to Z1R helmets at Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse:
http://www.mawonline.com/z1r.htm#Helmets%20full%20face
The crux of the extremely well-researched Motorcyclist article (for those who can't or won't read

) is that standards like the Snell are not measuring what happens in real-world accidents, and that some of the really cheap helmets protect just as well or often better than ones costing far more. The difference in price is often attributable to extras such as venting that are not really meaningful when it comes to protection. This is especially true now that a lot of the cheaper helmets are coming out of Korea and China, whereas Arai and Shoei are still made in Japan (with much higher labor costs).
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:49 pm
by beemerphile
mcollect wrote:Tried on many and ( shock) I bought a Caberg Solo. I love the fit and finish, it's fog free, Has a sun visor, and a QR strap as well as a Dring to lock it to the bike. After only 750 miles I still think It was the right choice.
I came, I read, I bought a Caberg Solo too. The sun visor feature sold me. I have been a happy Arai Quantum user for many years. Mcollect, were you a Quantum or a Signet user? I haven't received the Caberg yet and I am wondering what head shape is is best suited for.
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:23 am
by riceburner
Kevin Markwell wrote:Riceburner,
I don't have enough time to explain all of the physics and physiology right now, but you have fallen for the fallacy that a harder helmet is a better helmet. The best helmet would be a marshmallow that doesn't compress too far or come apart on contact. The worst helmet would be cast iron or similar uncompressible shell that allows your head to take the full blow and rattle around inside a few times before the jello of your brain comes to a stop. The Snell standard favors a hard helmet that can withstand two forceful blows of forces well above what would be expected in a typical, survivable street crash. This means that at lower impacts (in the range of what happens most often) the brain takes a harder shot than what a more compressible helmet would cause. At the extreme speeds and severe impacts at which the softer DOT helmets might break down, most people would die from associated injuries to neck, spine and internal injuries. So if the idea is to both survive the crash and stay stay out of the vegetable farm, the softer helmets make more sense.
Kevin
I think you misunderstand me.
I fully agree and I understand that the best helmet would mimic the skull/skin of our own heads.
I was saying that I'd rather have a helmet that could withstand the pressure (NOT impact - but slowly applied) of half a tonne of hydraulic flat-bed without breaking up.
The shell of a helmet is built and designed for one purpose (that of structural strength), and the internal foam is designed for the minimisation of movement, and dissipation of acceleration forces.
To have a soft helmet as you describe would require something like 400 cubic feet of marshmallow.
oh yeah - I've also had a fair few smacks in Arai helmets and trust them. (including chinning the roof line of a Golf at about 25-30 mph, the chinbar didn't deform at all).
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:07 am
by wncbmw
I am certainly not disagreeing with Kevin either. On a thread earlier this year about helmets, I indicated my choice came down mainly to fit.
It is good to know there might be some "Arai" shaped, but lower cost alternatives next time I go shopping. I just could not find any at the time.
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:34 am
by R4R&R
I know my head fits the Arai Quantum helmet real nice. I would like to try the Z1R helmet but I can't find a local dealer that stocks them and I would rather not blindly order one (although they ARE cheap enough, it could be used as a spare helmet). If I can't find a Z1R to try then I'll probably go with the Arai. I tried the Scorpion and Shoei helmets and they just don't fit my head right. I think having a quality helmet that is comfortable to wear is important, no matter the price.
On with my mission of buying a new helmet.
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:33 pm
by beemerphile
R4R&R wrote:I know my head fits the Arai Quantum helmet real nice. I would like to try the Z1R helmet but I can't find a local dealer that stocks them and I would rather not blindly order one (although they ARE cheap enough, it could be used as a spare helmet). If I can't find a Z1R to try then I'll probably go with the Arai. I tried the Scorpion and Shoei helmets and they just don't fit my head right. I think having a quality helmet that is comfortable to wear is important, no matter the price.
On with my mission of buying a new helmet.
What size/color are you looking for? If my Caberg is everything I think it will be I have a new in-the-box never-been-worn black Arai Quantum in size XL that I may be willing to part with. I'l want to test the Caberg first. I don't need to test the Arai as I have been wearing an XL Arai Quantum for quite a few years and I know it works. The only thing I don't know is whether the Caberg is as comfortable. I'm fixated on its flip-up sun visor if it turns out to be comfortable and well-made.
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:08 pm
by R4R&R
beemerphile wrote:What size/color are you looking for? If my Caberg is everything I think it will be I have a new in-the-box never-been-worn black Arai Quantum in size XL that I may be willing to part with. I'l want to test the Caberg first. I don't need to test the Arai as I have been wearing an XL Arai Quantum for quite a few years and I know it works. The only thing I don't know is whether the Caberg is as comfortable. I'm fixated on its flip-up sun visor if it turns out to be comfortable and well-made.
The Quantum in XL fits me. I kind of wanted to go with a color scheme this time (I've usually had black helmets - they match any bike). If a black XL Arai Quamtum 2 comes along at the right price I'll take it.

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:21 am
by mcollect
Lee I was a quatum user. The Solo was a little tight for the first few rides. Now it fits great except putting it on my ears get pulled down, quick pull of the strap flip the ears up and no problems. The sun viser is a great addition. Plus it is QUIET, good click adjustment on the face shield, but venting not as good as the Arai, but still OK.
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:30 pm
by beemerphile
mcollect wrote:Lee I was a quatum user. The Solo was a little tight for the first few rides. Now it fits great except putting it on my ears get pulled down, quick pull of the strap flip the ears up and no problems. The sun viser is a great addition. Plus it is QUIET, good click adjustment on the face shield, but venting not as good as the Arai, but still OK.
Good to hear you were a Quantum user. Me too.
I got the same ear pull. I took out the snap-in cheek pads and the ear pull went away, plus the helmet was more comfortable. I may either run without them or fabricate some thinner ones.
I bought it for the sun visor feature. On long rides, I hate to stop at sundown to change shields (especially with the Arai shield change ritual) so I usually ride on to the next gas stop. I use tinted shields with or without sunglasses in order to prevent sunburn.
The click shield adjustment is a neat feature. I use a tall shield in the winter and when riding with the faceshield up, the Arai shield is gradually lowered by the backdraft of air. Venting is not so much an issue with me as I use a low shield in the summer when I want airflow and I use a tall shield in the winter when I don't. The Caberg should prove warmer than the Arai in the winter.
Looks like a winner.
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:23 pm
by HILLBILLIEBIKER
I take a potato with me on rides and if I have a problem with fogging up the visor I cut the potato and and rub it on the inside of the visor. Bingo, no problem till you get home and try to get it off. And if your windshield need the road oil cut from it pour coke cola on it and the acid will remove the oil film. Here in Tennessee we use a lot of food products to inprove our riding/driving. Hey, how about corn the gas tank. Hi octane corn licker that is!
