Page 2 of 2

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 pm
by michael Tobias
I fianlly got the bike back together...between working long hours and outsmarting myself a few times it took a few days. I ended up removing the charcoal cannister, jacked up the front end until the wheel was off the ground. I removed the plastic shroud on the oil cooler and was careful not to let the front end hit the cooler...the shock came down a bit until the top stem cleared the mount....there is a rubber washer about 3/8 to 1/2 thick that goes on the underside of the mouting area... on top the spring, around the stem...if you remove that you can lift the shock up just enough to clear the arm below and get the shock angled enough to pull it out easily.

the Wilbers are VERY nice. the ride is WAY better than with stock shocks. my only regret is not doing it sooner. I ended up calling Ted a few times and he was most helpful....great customer service.

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 am
by hjsbmw
michael Tobias wrote:I fianlly got the bike back together...
Did you have to completely remove the tank, or what did you do with it?

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:47 am
by mogu83
Unbolt it (one bolt left side of tank - have to remove some plastic) lift up slightly and slide back about 2 inches carefully. Remember their are gas lines and wires attached underneath.

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:42 am
by hjsbmw
mogu83 wrote:Unbolt it (one bolt left side of tank - have to remove some plastic) lift up slightly and slide back about 2 inches carefully. Remember their are gas lines and wires attached underneath.
So you don't have to disconnect any of the hoses and wires but just slide the tank back with them still connected until you have enough space to do the work? Since I am at it, what do you have to remove to change the rear shock (wheel, exhaust,...)?

I've been thinking about getting the Wilbers. How recommendable is doing this over the phone? It would seem that there is more involved than answering some questions to get the shocks set up for one's personal body and riding type.

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:48 am
by mogu83
Yup - just slide the tank back about two inches, that should give you room to get at the nut on top of the shock.
Rear - I removed the muffler (not a big deal) and I also have a hugger so I removed that. The whole job went without a hitch (only one beer). I do have a lift so I did the job standing up.

Can't suggest anyone for Wilbers but the R1200R has been out there long enough so that most of the major guys know what the bike needs to go down the road.

Kind of relevant: I have an 850 pound Honda Valkyrie (Progressive suspension front and back) and have always thought of it as a great over the road bike. Recently I put Ohlins shocks on my R1200R and now the 400+ pound Beemer rides much better than the Honda that weighs twice as much. We have a few roads in Jersey that are infamous for the road surface, cement roads built in the 50s (cement slabs 40 feet long) that were paved over with blacktop. Whatever they do they can't stop the blacktop from cracking where the slabs come together. So it's bump bump,bump bump,bump bump forever. After 10/20 miles on the Valk my back starts to hurt. With the Ohlins (I'm sure also your Webers) dialed in the bumps are almost gone. I was EXtREMELY hesitant to spend more for a set of shocks then I spent for my first new bike (69 BSA Thunderbolt) but now I don't regret it.

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 am
by hjsbmw
mogu83 wrote:Yup - just slide the tank back about two inches...
Excellent! Thank you also for sharing your experience with the new Ohlins. I would hope to have a similarly gratifying experience. It would hurt to spend the $$ and feel the improvement/change is in no relation to the spendings.

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:29 pm
by Ckaine
Afternoon All:
As this post has morphed into the rear shock direction-what have you all done with the Rear Shock Plastic Guard? Have you replaced it with a MudSling or a Hugger. Or have you been able to put the guard on the new shock??
TIA
Chris

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:53 pm
by JohnM
Ckaine wrote: -what have you all done with the Rear Shock Plastic Guard? Have you replaced it with a MudSling or a Hugger. Or have you been able to put the guard on the new shock??
Chris:

There are several separate topic threads here on the various Huggers & the MudSling.

I've stored away the OEM shocks w/ the rear guard. MudSling provides better coverage of rear shock area, IMO. Besides, DonE approves it! :smt023

Re: front shock install question

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm
by Ckaine
Thanks John for the info! If Don approves-that is good enough for me :D !!