Page 2 of 2
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:53 am
by Right Hand Drive
Max BMW list a set of OE protection bars for the R. Very expensive though. I had a look to try and figure out where they attach to the bike in order to compare against the mounting points used by aftermarket bars. A far as I can see, they only use threaded holes already vacant on the casing rather than utilising the bike's rear frame mounting point.
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:22 am
by celticus
The SW-Motech bars are the real way to go.
Mark
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm
by cwrose
tobes wrote:You can get the metal GS headguards. I haven't 'used' them yet (knock wood) but they seem pretty sturdy. And still good clearance when going through the twisties. The pegs still drag first.
***correction*** I went and took a peek under the valve cover guards and was really surprised to see that the left side had in fact scraped along with the peg. Didn’t realize this at the time. Still not bad clearance though.
I am currently looking into a set of the GS guards. I don't care for the minimal level of protection of the ones made by BMW for the RR, and I am not really a fan of the crash bars (my hesitation is similar to Don's regarding force being transferred to areas not meant to handle said force). Anyway, after comparing these on a GS and looking at an RR, they look like they bolt right on? No modifications?
Biggest question, are you happy with them? Hopefully the answer is no, but have you "put them to use yet"? Thanks in advance for any input.
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 am
by tobes
cwrose wrote:
I am currently looking into a set of the GS guards. I don't care for the minimal level of protection of the ones made by BMW for the RR, and I am not really a fan of the crash bars (my hesitation is similar to Don's regarding force being transferred to areas not meant to handle said force). Anyway, after comparing these on a GS and looking at an RR, they look like they bolt right on? No modifications?
Biggest question, are you happy with them? Hopefully the answer is no, but have you "put them to use yet"? Thanks in advance for any input.
No modifications, three bolts and they're on. The dealer I go to had these in stock. Someone had special ordered them powder coated black and never picked them up so they gave me a deal on them. I am happy with them. I dropped the bike on it's right side while parking and they protected the head. I haven't had a moving drop on this bike though and hopefully won't - totaled one bike and once was enough.

Only bit of caution I would give is if you ride aggressively and drag your pegs around turns you may not want these guards as they do scape when you get down that low. I've been taking my guards off for spirited local canyon rides and putting them back on for longer rides when I want more protection. Hope that helps.
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:53 am
by cwrose
tobes wrote:...Hope that helps.
It helps quite a bit actually. I don't ride very aggressively, and have yet to drag the pegs, so the added clearance wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm glad they worked for you when you needed them, too. I want them more for when I'm out and about checking out land and exploring. Mostly slower speeds on gravel roads and trails. The guards made for the RR just don't offer the protection I want; mainly that from rocks and debris. I'm sure they may save the cylinder heads from asphalt, but if and when I dump the bike on a trail or fire road, I don't want a rock to "poke" through the guard and puncture the cover.
Anyway, thanks again for the comment. Quick response, too!
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:38 am
by celticus
"Only bit of caution I would give is if you ride aggressively and drag your pegs around turns you may not want these guards as they do scape when you get down that low. I've been taking my guards off for spirited local canyon rides and putting them back on for longer rides when I want "
Dang!!
Mark
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:49 am
by redwing
These are the kind on my R. Thanks for the heads-up about the ground clearence.
Robert
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:46 pm
by AncientMariner
According to my dealer, the BMW bars have been designed to break away before the engine mounting points break. That is how the bars on my K75 have been designed as well: rubber mounting blocks isolate the engine from the bars. So far, no damage on stopped/slow speed rollovers. I'm still saving up for the bars.
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:15 pm
by papasong
celticus wrote:The SW-Motech bars are the real way to go.
Mark
Agree. I love mine.
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:39 pm
by Mollygrubber
papasong wrote:celticus wrote:The SW-Motech bars are the real way to go.
Mark
Agree. I love mine.
+2
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:01 pm
by famousperson
Mollygrubber wrote:papasong wrote:celticus wrote:The SW-Motech bars are the real way to go.
Mark
Agree. I love mine.
+2
I bit the bullet and joined the herd. +3
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:18 pm
by JPeck
Has anyone had any experience with the Ztechnic bars? I like the look, but wonder if they will protect the heads as well as the motec or Wunderlich.
http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/ ... l=bm%2d025
John Peck
Maple City, Mi
02 R1150R
Re: Cylinder head protection?
Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:42 pm
by cwrose
lewellen wrote:
Indeed.
And I find it interesting that BMW doesn't offer crash bars themselves, only (as far as I can tell) the wimpy plastic cylinder head thingies.
Good roads,
- Lewellen
I am not sure if that is entirely true. I'm looking at a BMW motorcycle accessory catalog right now and am seeing a tubular style engine guard for an R1200R. I got the pdf from BMW's website, but it was the UK website. I must do some research to see if one is available stateside. I'll update with whatever I find.
Edit: So far no luck with the BMW engine guards. Perhaps the specs aren't compliant with US regulations? I dunno. Bummer though, they look pretty nice in the catalog.