Overnight security

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you lock your bike overnight while on the road?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:25 am

Yes, always
61%
Sometimes
15%
Never
24%

Total votes: 33

12bar1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Overnight security

Post by 12bar1 »

This summer I will be taking my first motorcycle vacation and was wondering what others do for bike security when parked overnight at a hotel / motel? I was thinking of a disc lock or is that just a waste of money.
dallara

Disc Lock - GOOD!

Post by dallara »

Disc lock - GOOD!

Disc Lock with built-in alarm (I use a Xena) - BETTER!

Disc lock with built-in alarm *AND* a *HUGE* 3/4 inch armored cable - BEST!

The trick is slow thieves down as much as you can, as well as causing them to draw as much attention as possible. Faced with that the hope is they will go pick on somebody else's ride less risky to steal.

Park your bike in a well-lit area with high traffic, lock the forks and use a disc lock, have an alarm if you can, and chain it or cable it to something solid if possible. You'll sleep better at night no matter how much insurance you have! :wink:

All that said, from what I can remember BMW's are way, way low down the theft statistics. Seems Harleys and GSXR's are at the top of the list these days.

Cheers!

Dallara
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I almost never lock it. I usually do not even use the fork lock, either. I have used locks once or twice, but for the most part I am pretty close to the bike, or I am really off the beaten path.

Where are you going? That would be the more important question. If you are heading to downtown Detroit, then I would lock it.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

12bar1........being old and cantankerous I don't worry much about the bike being stolen, just pay the collision and comprehensive and hope they steal it so you can get a new bike.

If the above doesn't turn you on.....take it to bed with you, it will keep you warm, doesn't snore or nag.s A couple of the guys on this post have provided photographic evidence of such an arrangement, but I don't seem to be able to find them.

Just kiddin'........ :wink: :wink:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
rkdemay
Triple Lifer

goldilocks?

Post by rkdemay »

I've only ever used the fork lock after a brief, unfortunate experiment with disk locks.

My new GS came with the OEM alarm, and I'll use that when I'm overnighting away from my own garage, but that's about it. Bee Ems are not hot targets, and if a crew decide they want yours anyway, there's not much that will stop them, IMHO.

Cheers,

-rkd
vinman
Basic User

Post by vinman »

Definetly lock it. A lock is such cheap insurance I don't see any logic in not locking it. I have a ONGuard Boxer disc lock. It weighs about 3-4 pounds, its very heavy duty and fits under the rear seat next to the tool pouch. I also have a U lock which fits nicely under the front seat.

Thieves will usually be prepared for one type of lock, so using two different types of locks will usually deter them and make them look for an easier target. The ignition lock won't protect your bike. Those can usually be easily broken with a screw driver and hammer.

Two locks, total cost $100. How much did you pay for your bike and accessories? Another $100 is a drop in the bucket for the security it offers.
MattnLA
Basic User

Post by MattnLA »

i keep it garaged at home, and when on the road, well, i just use the fork lock. i don't even own a disk lock.

i agree with boxermania though...i have full coverage, comp and collission...i don't sweat it. if someone REALLY wants my bike, they are going to get it. that's what insurance is for. maybe they'll steal mine the week after the K1200R is released. :)

i have thought about doing something like yanking the fuses or such when parked overnight so they can't start the bike. guess that wouldn't stop them from manhandling it onto the back of a truck though. as i said, if someone really wants it, they're going to get it. insurance kicks in, i get a new bike.

mathew
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Reality bites......if someone wants your bike, car, prized possesions bad enough they will get them irregardless of how many locks and chains you put on them....even if garaged.

Those that haven't had any such experiences are lucky to have somthing that has yet to catch someone's eye...... :cry: :cry:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
vinman
Basic User

Post by vinman »

If a thief really wants your bike, they will figure a way to get it. But the same as with your car or house or anything else - don't make yourself or your possesions an easy target. The object of a lock is to make the thief look for an easier target, which odds are they will find shortly.
Gord
Lifer

I Don't Need No Stinkin' Locks

Post by Gord »

vinman wrote:A lock is such cheap insurance I don't see any logic in not locking it.
Well if my insurance company gave me a rebate for using a lock, I would get one. Otherwise, my bike is insured. So if someone steals it, I am covered.

Does that sound like I am not in love with my bike? That it is just a piece of equipment? Perhaps. But it's not true. I truly love my bike. I love my wife. Both are insured. Neither are locked up.

Having said all that, I am thinking of getting a Xenon disc lock and a cable lock. My fear is having my bike stolen and then getting it back after some criminal has had his ass on my seat. Eeeeewwww!
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Gord,
They may defile your seat even if the bike is locked up. :shock:
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
12bar1
Lifer

Disc Lock

Post by 12bar1 »

I picked up a disc lock today just to make it a little more difficult to steal should someone decide to. However, as others have said if a pro decides to take it she is gone. A wise old man once told me locks only keep honest people honest. I figure locking it might discourage the less talented thief or vandal.
mattpeyton
Basic User

I'm from NYC

Post by mattpeyton »

and when I'm out in the motels/hotels/byways I feel SAFER than parking on the street outside my apartment (I have a garage and only park overnight if I miss the 1am cutoff). When I tour, I figure my bike is SO much safer than home that I take the chance. I probably SHOULDN'T because it's a long walk back home -- most of the time. I played with one of those Xena locks last week and wasn't impressed at all. Not loud, not a long alarm -- sort of like a whimper for help as the bike would undoubtedly be in someone's truck by then (help me! let me out of this truck!)....
Matthew Peyton
Silver 2004 R1150R
http://www.peyton.com
KHaynes
Lifer

Overnight security

Post by KHaynes »

If I'm booking into a motel, I always ask if they have lockup parking for my bike. I've managed to find a few bike friendly motel owners who will put the bike in their garage.
If they have no garage, I usually quiz them on any past security problems. If it's outside, the disc-lock is on.
Keith Haynes
R1150RT
Wheelcaps