R1150R Owners Tempted to Switch?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

I am....

Poll ended at Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:39 am

...tempted by the R1200GS.
13%
...tortured by the need for an R1200ST
21%
...trying to resist the lure of an R1200RT.
19%
...totally bonkers for the K1200S.
8%
...turning to the dark side -- K1200R.
40%

Total votes: 48

big papa
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by big papa »

Forgive me, I may purchase a FJR next spring. Can't justify the price of the high performance BMWs.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
dallara

FJR-1300

Post by dallara »

Hey, Big Papa...

Make sure you ride one first. You may change your mind. And make sure you ride one on a very *HOT* day for more than a few miles...

The heat coming out of the engine bay may surprise you (particularly some more tender parts of your anatomy)... :shock:

Also you might consider how long the bike model has been out, and yet only *NOW* is Yamaha really acknowledging the valve guide issue. Some 2005's have even turned out to be "tickers"according to the FJR forums.

For me the engine heat was an issue (but I live where it is *HOT* and humid a vast majority of the year), along with the engine power delivery and "character" - I just don't care for inline fours any more. Another thing that you will notice immediately... The front end. You may find you miss your telelever more than you think...

The FJR is definitely enticing at the price, however.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

Cheers!

Dallara
FGanger

Hmmmm . . .

Post by FGanger »

Well I don't see the "keep the R1150R" option. My height puts the others out of the question for me. Now . . . if there was an R1200R. :D

Oh yea, I'd wait until the second year of production to think of buying it. I have learned from my experience with other BMW bikes. :evil:

Frank
yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

Harem

Post by yjleesvrr »

Vann - shhhh! Don't tell my girlfriend! :P

Seriously, how can anybody stop with one motorcycle? The Roadster comes as close to an ideal do-it-all bike there is and thus fulfills the need best. However, there are a lot of compelling choices out there many of
which are made by BMW. I want more. I guess I better get back to work and "make more donuts" as both Duncan Donuts and Intel like to say.