jump start post

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
GMACNEIL
Basic User
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:47 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

jump start post

Post by GMACNEIL »

Hi. I have the four parts necessary to install a jumper post, but would like some instruction on its placement before I start drilling through the cover of the starter motor. Any help is much appreciated.

(Parts listing is found on previous posts in this section dated April 3 of this year.)

Gordon
GMACNEIL
Basic User
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 11:47 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama

update

Post by GMACNEIL »

Well, the deed is done. I was concerned about locating the hole for the post in the starter cover. I imagine I could have measured from some fixed coordinates and done it, but history suggested that I would be "close, but no cigar" and end up with an ugly starter cover.

Instead I was able to reverse thread the bolt that holds the starter cover on into the bracket that the post screws onto (which was solidly installed where it will reside hence-forth). I then covered the end of the bolt with chalk (the blue stuff used in snapping lines in carpentry). I carefully installed the cover and smacked it a good one to set the chalk against the inside of the cover. Viola!- a blue mark where I drilled the hole.

As an aside, I found the stud on the post to be a bit too short. I really had to press in on the cover to get the threads to find a purchase. In fact, I ended up not using the washer included in the parts list- it would have made the task impossible in my case.

Total time: one hour in 90 degree heat- your mechanical skills may speed up the process!

Regards.
taosports
Double Lifer
Posts: 928
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:22 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: update

Post by taosports »

GMACNEIL wrote:...I carefully installed the cover and smacked it a good one to set the chalk against the inside of the cover. Viola!- a blue mark where I drilled the hole.
Very ingenious...glad it worked for you!
Samiam
Basic User
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:37 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Greenville/Edisto Island SC

Post by Samiam »

Whoa - Wait a minute! My R has the posts built into it, The + is beside the power socket and the - is a stud on the head. Yours isn't like that?
beemer-biker
Basic User
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 10:22 am
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Yakima, WA

Post by beemer-biker »

Samiam wrote:Whoa - Wait a minute! My R has the posts built into it, The + is beside the power socket and the - is a stud on the head. Yours isn't like that?
BMW started putting them on the '04 model year. Anything before that doesn't have one. I added one to my '02 as well.
beemer-biker
Ride safe!!
'06 Aprilia Caponord
Samiam
Basic User
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:37 pm
Donating Member #: 0
Location: Greenville/Edisto Island SC

Post by Samiam »

Mine's a 2005; that clears everything up. I guess the "R" is eternal....
Post Reply