I'm Baaaaaaa-aack!

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: I'm Baaaaaaa-aack!

Post by sweatmark »

Unsure about calipers, but I learned that front rotors are same for R1150** and early F800 - which shares much with the K1200/1300. Or so I hope: have spare rotors that would go on K bike before Rockster2 will need them.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

It's more a question of the offsets from the mounting points to the plane of the disc. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the offset on the k, with its Duolever (girder) front fork is quite different to the R1150
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

In the vein of keeping this thread alive as a 'blog' of life with an early Rockster.....

The shock seal has failed today. I only noticed because the oil was dripping onto the catalyser and when I parked up at work I could see it smoking off. ( And smell it!!)

Here's the underside of the shock :

The shock has a plastic shroud over the main chromed piston rod, so without diss-assembling the thing it's not a 100% confirmed diagnosis, but the fact that there's oil obviously weeping from that 'drain hole' on the underside of the unit makes me 99.9999% certain that the seal has gone.

The difficulty in getting the correct replacement is that the unit is only used by 2 bikes: the Rockster (0308,0318) and the R850R Classic* (0428), neither of which was a good seller! The unit is a few mm longer than the standard R1150R shock, which not many breakers are aware of, so I'm going to have to do some careful talking and checking of ebay ads!
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxr ... series=R28

* the R850R has a choice of 4 shock units! https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 3537666917
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

riceburner wrote:I don't know about the Ks, I'm hoping so because I have a K12R, and if I keep it I'll probably want to do the same swap.
Well, well, well.... whaddya know...

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 4117722526

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 4117722526

Same part number for the calipers across about 10 years of models..... I love modular manufacturing practises. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Just an update.

Rockster is still going well, new rear Angel ST fitted this week, and some Nitron R1 shocks ordered up to improve the bouncy-bouncy! :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Good to hear from you young fella!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:53 am Good to hear from you young fella!
Good to be around still :)

Waiting around that is.... the Nitrons are taking ages to show up.

In the meantime I've gone and bought myself a new (to me) car:

Mainly because where I live now there's NOWHERE to park the Rockster, and insurance here is insane for a bike, so it's tucked up safely in a garage elsewhere. I rather enjoyed a fortnight in Scotland last year in a ragtop Mustang, so thought I'd indulge myself a bit. :D
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hawkeye
Basic User

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi I know this is a bit late and maybe you have sorted your fuel issue. It is a common issue with in tank pump issues that the fuel pipes leak in the tank when they get old.
The pipes break down. Also a lot of people replace the pipes in there tanks with normal fuel line. They do not last. They swell up and break down.
The pipes have to have for in a tank. Not to easy to find. The best way to check the pipes is to put a pressure test on them with out taking the tank off. I have put a link to help to give you an idea of what goes on. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... ning-Light.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hawkeye wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:23 am Hi I know this is a bit late and maybe you have sorted your fuel issue. It is a common issue with in tank pump issues that the fuel pipes leak in the tank when they get old.
The pipes break down. Also a lot of people replace the pipes in there tanks with normal fuel line. They do not last. They swell up and break down.
The pipes have to have for in a tank. Not to easy to find. The best way to check the pipes is to put a pressure test on them with out taking the tank off. I have put a link to help to give you an idea of what goes on. https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... ning-Light.
Yep - all sorted, I changed the pump, and the hoses internally were still good. Pump is still a bit noisy, but I don't notice it any more.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

don't know how I managed to put this on the 1200 posting so copied and put it in the right place...long live my rock!

Post by kirby » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:34 pm

Greetings!
Just back from a 5000 miler on the rock. Starting to get cool here in the mountains but the riding still good.

Last month while doing as pre ride check w/the rock on the center stand I could feel a bit of a "bump" while rolling the wheel (rear) and I had never felt that before. Since I was planning to leave on the long trip I decided to pull the rear drive and investigate.

Well it turned out to be a failing u-joint, the rear most one. Since BMW wants over $1,000 dollars for a drive shaft assembly I took a die grinder to the stakes and pressed out both u joints and matched them at the parts store and pressed new ones in.

Decided since I was that far into the bike (first time) I would pull the trans and take a look at the splines and clutch.

Had a new plate so ordered bolts and pulled the flywheel and went thru the clutch. The original plate was still serviceable but down to about 1/8" thick.

The splines were worn but still serviceable as they were straight and the ware was due to high miles. (328K) I could have gotten at least another 100K but since I had it down I ordered a new shaft and the two bearings and replaced it. The rest of the transmission was in fine shape.

I am pretty smooth on the drive train and see no reason to add a longer shaft, and If I did do something I would have put in a clutch plate with a bit longer center spline. IMHO not needed. If you machine case to case (engine to trans) is square from the factory no need. I had never lubed the splines since new (such a bunch of work to do it right by demate) the splines would have not worn as much as it only had lube from the factory many years ago and miles.

Engine is still strong, mileage mid to high 40s' (sometimes better depending on wind and load) and oil usage less than a Qt between changes.

Hope to make another long trip before winter sets in...

Cheers to everyone.
The oilhead beemers are tough and easy to work on (for a BMW).

kirby
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Mike

Good to see you here.

As mentioned earlier this week, I'm working on Rockster Christmas list - which means you, James, my brother, maybe that "swamped" guy who posts in ADV. the diehard R1150R Rockster family. Just need to know if you will keep riding that faithful old machine, and my guess is yes. If so then will PM you guys for shipping address.

Mark
Oregon
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

I certainly can't see myself buying anything else for the foreseeable future. I've become a die-hard Telelever fanatic.

About the only bike I'd buy now is a Pereves Monoracer!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

Your guess is right, a very unique machine which is truly a jack of all rides, tough and reliable, no can bus electric or other tricks, and maintence is
just some hand tools, a multi meter, a manual, no dealer required...

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

Well finally back in the mix ,been traveling (business) and my rock is back together. Put about 7K on the VFR so going in to a heavy maint check..due.

Will be good for the riding season to start, already have a couple of rallies planed for spring.

New grand son came in Sept. Always great time. I'll have him flying and riding in due time!

Good to see the forum up and going. I'll be in touch as long as its here.

Cheers,
mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:52 pm Well finally back in the mix ,been traveling (business) and my rock is back together. Put about 7K on the VFR so going in to a heavy maint check..due.

Will be good for the riding season to start, already have a couple of rallies planed for spring.

New grand son came in Sept. Always great time. I'll have him flying and riding in due time!

Good to see the forum up and going. I'll be in touch as long as its here.

Cheers,
mike
Good to know there's a few of us still around. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life