The December check in thread....

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

The December check in thread....

Post by riceburner »

I'm still here!. :D

Moving house VERY soon (waiting for solicitors). I can't wait because it means I'll have 24/7 access to a garage again and I can get back to tinkering with my bike and tools. Have been without a garage and easy access to the bike for nearly 2 years.... it's been hell.

So - if you're still visiting, let us know what's happening and we can try to keep this little community going a bit longer. :)

Just a suggestion to everyone: to save bandwidth on the server (which is the reason that the site goes dark in the latter half of each month), maybe try using the 'New Posts' link which is in the 'Quick Links' drop-down menu, and then, when that page has opened - Bookmark it, and use that bookmark each time you visit the site.

The reason for this is that each time you open a page on this site, the server has to send a whole load of code, images, scripts to your computer. So - the less pages each of us opens, the slower we use up the limited capacity that the hosting company allows us to use.

Think of it like filling up a bottle of water from a water-cooler. Each time you load a new page, it's like 'topping up' the water bottle (reading each page is akin to drinking some of the water in the bottle).
So - although at the beginning of the month the water-cooler is full, each top up of the water bottle, by each person drinking the water, takes a little bit more from the cooler reservoir. Eventually we run out of water. The hosting company is only letting us use small cooler-reservoirs each month.

So - if you load up the front page, then open the forum page, then open the R1150R list, then open a thread, then go back to the R1150R list, then go back to the main forum list, then open the Rockster list, then open a thread.... that's a total of 8 page loads from the server (8 top ups of your water bottle).
If, instead, you open the Bookmarked 'New posts' list, then open each thread that appears in a new tab ('right click and select 'Open link in new tab'), then you've seen the same information as before - but you've only opened 3 page loads. The 'New Posts' search covers all the main sub-forums, and will only show threads that have new posts since the last time you visited.

Doing this will help to stretch out the capacity of the hosting contract a little further into the month. :)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Re: The December check in thread....

Post by towerworker »

You've made it a bit clearer for me as to the why of what's been happening.

Well....one little of bit of something new for me...I picked up a project bike last week. Something that was my first bike when I was 17 back in 1972. I was a senior in high school. I paid $450 for a 1969 Harley Davidson SS350 Sprint. This was a bike made by Aermacchi in Italy but HD had a 50% stake in their m/c division. A bike that was a constant source of mechanical trouble for me back then. I found one literally in a barn about 15 miles from where I live. The only ones I've ever seen between then and now has been in the Barber Motorsports Museum. The one I found is complete but in pretty dire condition. But the motor is not locked up and the tank is in surprisingly good condition with no internal rust. So a project to take my attention in the coming months (or years).
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Thanks riceburner for that explanation.
So far winter has not shown up here in any "quit ridding" sort of way but would be nice to get some rain in SoCal for sure. I have some rockster maintence plans to do later in the month that will take it out of riding status for a bit but needed. So it will be my VFR ('97) for a while.

I try and visit the site here several times a week.

Pressing on...

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

I understand the bandwidth /server dilemma . I've been using a bookmark since forever.
I'm curious to ask- what are the stats for using up the allotment if only registered members can have access?

Wish you the best with your move !
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

So am I helping or hurting bandwidth using "Active Topics" as my site entry, with "keep me logged in" selected?

Haven't ridden enough this year, but was happy to complete Rockster rebuild and 3k miles of shakedown. Running well, with list of winter upgrades.

Put Road 5s on S1000: regretted it while weather was still warm & dry, but riding that bike lot during our 8 months of rain in western Oregon - where those tires work great at sane speeds.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:20 am You've made it a bit clearer for me as to the why of what's been happening.
The tech world love to hide behind jargon, I'm happy that I've managed to translate some of it, even if only a little!

My father had one of the 350 Aermacchis, set up as a race bike, don't think I ever got to ride it tbh, which was a shame.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 am Thanks riceburner for that explanation.
So far winter has not shown up here in any "quit ridding" sort of way but would be nice to get some rain in SoCal for sure. I have some rockster maintence plans to do later in the month that will take it out of riding status for a bit but needed. So it will be my VFR ('97) for a while.

I try and visit the site here several times a week.

Pressing on...

:-)
Sounds good, I'm not getting any riding at all because the bike I'd tucked up in my ex's garage, 45 minutes away.
Once we (my new partner and I) move house, I'm getting it back asap!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Mr.Frequent wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:35 pm I understand the bandwidth /server dilemma . I've been using a bookmark since forever.
I'm curious to ask- what are the stats for using up the allotment if only registered members can have access?

Wish you the best with your move !
You'd have to ask Doug, (forum owner), but I know he doesn't visit very often these days
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sweatmark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:00 pm So am I helping or hurting bandwidth using "Active Topics" as my site entry, with "keep me logged in" selected?
I doubt it, "bandwidth" is the amount of water flowing through the river, how that is managed is only a tiny part of the flow.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

riceburner wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:54 am
sweatmark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:00 pm So am I helping or hurting bandwidth using "Active Topics" as my site entry, with "keep me logged in" selected?
I doubt it, "bandwidth" is the amount of water flowing through the river, how that is managed is only a tiny part of the flow.
Ok cool, I'm back to checking the board daily - and sparingly - because it still feels like home.

Travel this year has been a grind, so my Rockster Christmas gifts will be delayed.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

The traffic issue is largely spam. I've attempted many different methods over the years from banning entire countries, IP ranges, DNS stuff, traffic routing/cloudflare, name types, membership criteria... but nothing works. Its spam. Blame the nerds in their underwear with nothing better to do than ruin people's online experiences for fun.

Sorry the site sort of sucks now (multiple logins required, bandwidth issues and posting annoyance, etc), but I do the best I can within the constraints of my abilities, time and funds. I will try to keep it alive as long as possible. We almost lost it a year or two back yunno..!
Member #1
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

We greatly appreciate it Doug!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Thanks for all you do Doug!
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Doug wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:20 am The traffic issue is largely spam. I've attempted many different methods over the years from banning entire countries, IP ranges, DNS stuff, traffic routing/cloudflare, name types, membership criteria... but nothing works. Its spam. Blame the nerds in their underwear with nothing better to do than ruin people's online experiences for fun.

Sorry the site sort of sucks now (multiple logins required, bandwidth issues and posting annoyance, etc), but I do the best I can within the constraints of my abilities, time and funds. I will try to keep it alive as long as possible. We almost lost it a year or two back yunno..!
I know it would be a major faff (translation: "hassle"), but is there another ISP the forum could be moved to? One which is a similar overall cost, but doesn't have the bandwidth restrictions?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

Thank you , Doug.
You are appreciated.