Another Rockster

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hawkeye
Basic User

Another Rockster

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi Guys just picked up another Rockster.
Not bad when you consider in NZ there are only 7 and I have 2.
Got it for NZ $2500.00, cheep. It has done about 57k and it has been sitting in a covered area facing the coast.
A bit of a mess. a fare bit of corrosion, including the forks, bars and more.
Missing the ABS unit and all that goes with it. It runs but has a fuel problem. I would say the piping in the tank is knackered.
Will put a pressure test on it.
The tank is straight with scratches and the decals have shrunk.
All the plastic looks like new and has new tires.
Came with BMW tools, handbook and excellent panniers and rack.
My plan is to do it up which is no problem just time, but does anyone know how I can get aftermarket tank decals.
Both my bikes are the mean green colour.
One of the things that is different is that it has no heated grips or the switch.
Doe's anyone know if some models came without heated grips.
This bike was sold new in NZ in 2006.
Cheers everyone, from covid free NZ
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Another Rockster

Post by riceburner »

Sounds like a nice rescue/restore job!

I don't know about NZ, but in the UK and (afaik) Europe, the heated grips were always an option (an extra £200 or so iirc), but most UK dealerships added it on 'anyway' to the bike when bought as it was very very rare that someone didn't want them!

Be aware that lack of heated grips MIGHT mean that the alternator fitted has a slightly reduced output. Again, IIRC, bikes with heated grips specified from new were fitted with a slightly higher output alternator.

Re the decals - I believe they MIGHT be available from BMW or possibly Motorworks (A UK supplier), but it might be EASIER to simply get the tank repainted!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hawkeye
Basic User

Re: Another Rockster

Post by Hawkeye »

I repainted my other bike tank myself straight black and am happy with it but it would be nice if I could get decals for the new bike.
I did get a price for the original tank decals but by the time it got here it was about US $600.00. Not to keen on that. Getting them made locally seemed a problem. I think they put it in the too hard basket. Maybe I might have a go myself. I like a challenge.
I won't worry about the grips.