F800GS Opinion

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

KeithC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

F800GS Opinion

Post by KeithC »

I own an '04 R1150R, which I absolutely love.

Recently, I was in California on business, had a free weekend, and decided to rent a bike. The only BMW I could find (was looking for an R bike) was an F800GS, so I took it. Rode north and south on the Pacific Coast Highway, 500+ miles total. The ride and scenery were fantastic. But the experience was made even better by the bike itself. It handled great, shifted great, was comfortable and had a surprising (to me) amount of power and torque. That engine, in my opinion, is impressive. The chain drive was fine (not noisy, and I didn't sense any lash), although I'm not sure why they didn't just go with the belt, even on the GS. (Don't know if I could go back to a chain.) I also loved the sound of the engine.

I'm going to ride an ST the first chance I get, but, based on my time on the 800 GS, the 800's are winners! =D>

Keith
papasong
Lifer

Re: F800GS Opinion

Post by papasong »

I agree. I think the F800 engine is awesome.
I am currently on an R1200R (which I love), but I came from the F800ST, which I still think is a great bike.
I loved that it had a belt drive. Transmission felt really smooth. I think the F800 series is a winner, too.
Current: 2009 R1200R Night Black
Past: 2008 F800ST Graphitan
Lifer #864
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

Hmmm. I'm actually considering trading in my R1200R for an F800GS. I'm pretty impressed with my wife's F650GS and her mileage is phenomenal. She's always got a crowd around her bike when we stop, and I'm the red headed stepchild. :lol:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Mollygrubber wrote:Hmmm. I'm actually considering trading in my R1200R for an F800GS. I'm pretty impressed with my wife's F650GS and her mileage is phenomenal. She's always got a crowd around her bike when we stop, and I'm the red headed stepchild. :lol:
You and me both thinking of swapping for the GS.

However, as you contemplate the 800, whatever you do, don't ride the KTM 990 SMT. It's the next quantum leap in bike-riding fun. I should go for the GS but that KTM is just so tempting.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)
2006 KTM 400 EXC (Orange,.. obviously)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

Rocket wrote:
Mollygrubber wrote:Hmmm. I'm actually considering trading in my R1200R for an F800GS. I'm pretty impressed with my wife's F650GS and her mileage is phenomenal. She's always got a crowd around her bike when we stop, and I'm the red headed stepchild. :lol:
You and me both thinking of swapping for the GS.

However, as you contemplate the 800, whatever you do, don't ride the KTM 990 SMT. It's the next quantum leap in bike-riding fun. I should go for the GS but that KTM is just so tempting.
Well after test riding the F8GS this weekend, I'm pretty convinced it's my do everything bike. No, I haven't ridden the SMT, and I probably won't. I plan on doing a lot more off-tarmac riding, and as much as I love the SMT I can't see it as my solution. Sure would be fun to borrow yours though!

Peter

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Mollygrubber wrote:
Rocket wrote:
Mollygrubber wrote:Well after test riding the F8GS this weekend, I'm pretty convinced it's my do everything bike. No, I haven't ridden the SMT, and I probably won't. I plan on doing a lot more off-tarmac riding, and as much as I love the SMT I can't see it as my solution. Sure would be fun to borrow yours though!

Peter
Anytime, Peter!

..I have to buy it first , though...

Will keep you posted...
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

Took the plunge today, I now have a nice white F8GS drying off in my garage. This bike breeds so much confidence, even in the wet! I sort of wish I had made this choice before the expensive 'lesson' of trading down, but whatever, I am happy with the bike.

Now I just need to convince the wife that it really needs a Touratech Desierto III fairing to be complete. And a M.O.D. luggage rack, bash plate, tool box and Roto Pack. And... and... and...

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Mollygrubber wrote:Took the plunge today, I now have a nice white F8GS drying off in my garage. This bike breeds so much confidence, even in the wet! I sort of wish I had made this choice before the expensive 'lesson' of trading down, but whatever, I am happy with the bike.

Now I just need to convince the wife that it really needs a Touratech Desierto III fairing to be complete. And a M.O.D. luggage rack, bash plate, tool box and Roto Pack. And... and... and...
Congratulations on the new bike. I 'm not jealous at all :x

Ahh, the white one. Yes, my favourite too. Went to a Horizons Unlimited weekend rally and saw a white version fully kitted out with luggage etc near the Touratech stand. Looked absolutely fantastic. Makes you just want to go and explore.

I had a test ride last year thinking it may replace my KTM 400EXC and road bike (then a Triumph Sprint ST1050) but found it a bit heavy for the serious off-road, and a big difference on power (compared to the Sprint) plus it's a bit tall for me (since I 'm only 5'7"). Despite those concerns it was a great "fun" ride, really nimble and easy to ride. Plus, it would easily tackle green-laning and the not so serious trails . Unsure about the long distance touring but plenty seem to do it OK. Had a chat with an owner who said the seat is crap for long distance (we know all about that problem) but the after-market replacements are much better.

Would appreciate a photo or two, when you get cance. Haven't taken the plunge on the KTM yet , ans seriously tempted with the F800GS.

One question, how did you find going down in cc's ? (reduced power etc). No substitute for cc's we used to say. Not so relevant today, I suppose. How do you find the power/torque difference?

REgards

Ron
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

Rocket wrote: Congratulations on the new bike. I 'm not jealous at all :x

Ahh, the white one. Yes, my favourite too. Went to a Horizons Unlimited weekend rally and saw a white version fully kitted out with luggage etc near the Touratech stand. Looked absolutely fantastic. Makes you just want to go and explore.

I had a test ride last year thinking it may replace my KTM 400EXC and road bike (then a Triumph Sprint ST1050) but found it a bit heavy for the serious off-road, and a big difference on power (compared to the Sprint) plus it's a bit tall for me (since I 'm only 5'7"). Despite those concerns it was a great "fun" ride, really nimble and easy to ride. Plus, it would easily tackle green-laning and the not so serious trails . Unsure about the long distance touring but plenty seem to do it OK. Had a chat with an owner who said the seat is crap for long distance (we know all about that problem) but the after-market replacements are much better.

Would appreciate a photo or two, when you get cance. Haven't taken the plunge on the KTM yet , ans seriously tempted with the F800GS.

One question, how did you find going down in cc's ? (reduced power etc). No substitute for cc's we used to say. Not so relevant today, I suppose. How do you find the power/torque difference?

REgards

Ron
Well, I did 500km yesterday with a little off-road, and the stock (low) seat is better than the stock R12R seat, to me at least.

I need to get another 300-400km on it tonight after work, as the wife and I are going to the Canada west Horizon's Unlimited meeting on Thursday morning, and it need the first service before we leave... oh my poor bum!

Did you get to meet Lois and Austin at yours? My wife loves them... especially Lois!

As far as touring, this bike will do it easily. It's a bit buzzier at high speed, and due to the 21" front wheel it's not as stable, but motor-wise it's just fine! 85bhp is enough fo pretty much anything, IMHO.

On the dirt, it's a bit porky, and definitely needs better tires. But it's a damn sight better than the R12R!

I find it really excellent in day-to-day poking around and commuting, and the mileage is a big plus.

Overall, I'm happy.

Peter

2010 F800GS
Member #741
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Hey, pleasantly surprised you met Lois and Vince. Small world. I didn't meet them at the HU event this year because they were late (as usual) and I had to leave the event early. I have spoken to Lois on the phone a few times and met her and Vince at a bike club talk last year. They are the REAL deal for sure. I was introduced to them via some friends of theirs (who I know better) -Julie Horne and her partner Ruth. Julie has helped me out loads of times when I was justing starting off-roading 3 years ago. Julie and Ruth have been into the off-road scene in a big way for years. Julie's done some photography for TBM magazine (UK) and had the occasional feature article eg when they took 3 months off to ride the south coast of Aus!.

Sounds like you are happy with your machine. There's always a compromise somewhere. Keep me posted on how you get on with it.
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
Mollygrubber
Lifer

Post by Mollygrubber »

55,000 km later and I'm still pretty happy. I've only had one issue, which is the steering head bearings. I replaced them at 38,000km, and then they went south again at about 50,000. That's just wrong, and the dealer agreed, so they were replaced under "good will" warranty.

Other than that, it's been smooth sailing. I have to say, though, the windshield you get from BMW is horrid. I replaced mine ages ago with a Britannia Composites fairing and have had great success with it.

2010 F800GS
Member #741