Whats the Difference? V2

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

Ian
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Whats the Difference? V2

Post by Ian »

I am currently looking at getting a K1200R, and am curious on what differences if any between the 04 Spec - to the current Spec?

yes i have asked the question of the GS as well - am stuck between the 2 models :oops: :oops:
Ian

riceburner
Basic User

Re: Whats the Difference? V2

Post by riceburner »

Ian wrote:I am currently looking at getting a K1200R, and am curious on what differences if any between the 04 Spec - to the current Spec?

yes i have asked the question of the GS as well - am stuck between the 2 models :oops: :oops:
None that I know of (BMW altered the R1200GS recently, but not the K12R that I know of).

The only changes from the OE spec that I'm aware of are software (injection) updates.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

There have supposedly been hundreds of small engineering refinements, but I doubt they make little if any difference. Obviously the newer version of ABS is available, as are the other newer options traction control. The gearbox is said to be smoother, which I think is due to modifications to the clutch. I was speaking to a BMW mechanic a few days ago and asked him if he is seeing any particular problems with K bikes as the miles roll on. He mentioned that many of the newer models (mid '07 onwards) are exhibiting an unexplained noise from the clutch, particularly when taking of from a standing start. he said it is simply a horrible noise which sounds like metal scraping on metal. The clutches have been pulled apart but everything seems normal. I had a look at some K forums, and sure enough, a lot of people are saying the same thing. Personally, I think that if you dont want ABS or the other new gadgets, an early KR with low miles is the way to go.
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival
Ian
Basic User

Post by Ian »

Thanks Guys,

Thats what i had heard - no major changes but thousands of little ones.

the only issue i had was swapping from the 1150R to 1200R when riding is the bar heights but i think a new yoke could fix that!
Ian

riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

There is one other thing - mentioned in the "Recalls" thread.

The Duolever steering can get "sticky" due to the grease used on the ball head drying up and solidifying. This exhibits as steering issues - especially at low speeds (bike won't hold a straight line), it's very akin to worn head bearings on a "normal" bike.

Ours is going in for a check early in October under warranty. The current fix is a rebuild with (I think) a replacement ball head and presumably a lot of new grease.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Damo
Basic User

Post by Damo »

Riceburner, the reason I was talking to my mechanic a few days ago was that I had both ball joints of the duolever replaced under warranty, for exactly the low speed steering issue you described. I wasn't aware it was a commmon thing, nor had I read the "Recalls" thread. The mechanic said he had seen it before, but only on bikes that don't get ridden much. Makes sense, as due to some changes my K has pretty much changed from "transport" to "pleasure" and only travelled 5K klm in the last 12 months. I can report that she steers sweetly once more.
Motorcycle+passion/ego=fleeting survival
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Damo wrote:Riceburner, the reason I was talking to my mechanic a few days ago was that I had both ball joints of the duolever replaced under warranty, for exactly the low speed steering issue you described. I wasn't aware it was a commmon thing, nor had I read the "Recalls" thread. The mechanic said he had seen it before, but only on bikes that don't get ridden much. Makes sense, as due to some changes my K has pretty much changed from "transport" to "pleasure" and only travelled 5K klm in the last 12 months. I can report that she steers sweetly once more.

That's good to hear. Ours doesn't get much use either, unfortunately.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life